Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Awesome chicken and a weekend of cooking

IMG_1763

This weekend was something else. What else I don't know, but I can tell you that it kicked me in the behind. It left me drained. It left me dreaming of pork and meat and lets just say I only want to eat salad today.

IMG_1690

Dishes. I feel like a flunky in a Michelin rated restaurant. I can't tell you how many dishes I washed. Ok, enough with the wah wah wah. I will get on with it.

Friday...

IMG_1692

Ah, chicken. I decided that I would give "Spatchcocking" another try since I mutilated the bird last time. Spatchcocking is another word for butterflying. See? you learned something...or not.

IMG_1696

I got the Keel bone out on the breast side so it really was nice and flat when it came time to cook. I had bought 2 sour oranges at the farmers market and I wanted to make Cuban Style Chicken. I miss a restaurant that I used to go to in Culver City called Versailles. They made the most amazing cuban chicken. I came up with a marinade that didn't hit the mark for Versailles but was very good.

IMG_1691

I made a mojito sauce to marinade the chicken in. No not the drink. There is a marinade with the same name. Recipe will be given if you can get through my blatherings.

IMG_1702

Dr. Food BBQed it. He is the grill guy. Actually, he is way more than that. He is my partner in crime with all of this. He doesn't blog so I just pretend that I do all this cooking alone, but I don't. Dr. Food is a Chemist. He is focused. He keeps me grounded when I start getting out of control throwing ingredients in a bowl. He knows all about scales, and measurements, and did I say he is the most patient person I ever met? Well he is. So lets all give a round of applause to Dr. Food (who by the way really IS a doctor of chemistry). I love you Dr. Food. Ok enough with the mush and on to the Rib Roast.

IMG_1729

My friend Cathy (waving to Cathy) got her hands on this beautiful Boneless Rib Roast. She didn't know what to do with it so I grabbed it out of her hands and ran to my house with it (good thing I only live next door because I am out of shape from eating too much pork and I don't run that fast. Not only that but her legs are about 3 times longer than mine and she could whoop my ass in a running contest). Anyhow, I got the rib roast and made it for a dinner for all of us (yes, Cathy and her family were there. I did share afterall).

IMG_1742

Ewwww. This recipe sounded good but was disgusting. That is what *I* get for getting a recipe out of a magazine that comes free in the mail that says "NO ADS".

IMG_1754

Check out the dayglo green under those breadcrumbs and parmesan. Ewwwww. Grosssss. No recipe to follow.

IMG_1755

I also made these potato stacks. They stuck to the tin. The tasted ok but uh....I dunno.

IMG_1758

IMG_1757

The meat? The meat came out perfectly. We went with "low and slow" method and a blast of heat at the end to sear the outside. I sort of didn't do this part because I might have been talking and drinking a bit too much and this is where Dr. Food always comes in and saves my ass.

IMG_1786

Sunday. We decided that Sunday would be GRINDAPALOOZA for the 5th Charcutepalooza challenge. Not only were we doing that but I was missing my friends Matt and Margie and my BFF Sam, so we invited them over for a dinner of pastrami sandwiches (of COURSE it was the homemade pastrami!). So we were working away furiously so we would be done by the time they showed up.

IMG_1825

Again with the Matt hands.

Here is Margie (love you M!)

IMG_1822

She is married to those hands....I mean Matt.

IMG_1821

Here is Matt. Those are his hands. (Oh Matt you always crack me up, love you too!)

No Sam. Same doesn't pose for pictures unless you pay him. I was all out of 5's. (Love you toothless Sammy!)

Ok. Carry on.

Really Good Chicken!

1 large roasting chicken

1 cups sour orange juice (or 1/2 orange and 1/2 lemon juice)
10 cloves garlic (minced)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 cup minced onion
2 teaspoons oregano
1/4C Canola oil

Mix all marinade ingredients (I flattened the chicken but you don't have to do this) and marinate for a few hours. Grill or roast chicken as you normally would, basting every so often.

16 comments :

  1. Your house always has something fun and delicious going on. That chicken look so good! Here is a round of applause for Dr. Food coming from New York {applause}! Hope you are enjoying your Birthday week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite the meat filled weekend! I can see why you'd be dreaming of salad by Monday, but it all looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous of Cathy. The living next to you part, not the part where you grab gorgeous hunks of food out of her hands and run away with them.

    The spatchcock chicken looks fantastic. It's such an awesome way to cook a bird. Looks obscene, but it's awesome.

    I know you have more meat in you. You must.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chicken looks gorgeous...I'll have to give spatchcocking a try! Cute post...but what is that green stuff under the bread crumbs???? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great!! Glad to be a new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You seriously crack me up. I was in stitches over the "stealing of the roast". Good for you on the chicken, I'm never great at deconstruction whole birds, I need a lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome dinner!! I would steal that baby too. I did a turducken 2yrs ago and that is quite the hot mess!
    I blast my rib roasts at the beginning. 500F for 15-20mins then turn down the oven as low as it will go....150F for my oven. Cook then till done. Usually about 7-8hrs depending on how you like your meat. Gets a nice carmelized crust on the outside. If there's a cap on it I pull it off, put a little rub or persillade in there and then recap and retie.
    Gorgeous.
    (that spinach or whatever it was looked gnarly therefore no comment! )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jean (Lemons and Anchovies)April 26, 2011 at 11:27 PM

    I split my marinated whole chicken before grilling it this weekend but it wasn't flat enough. I guess I didn't split it right! :-)

    Everything looks great to me, even the potatoes. I would gladly have eaten them right out of the tin. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. mojito marinate? that i need to try

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never knew about the keel bone and thats what was keeping my chicken from laying flat.. great informative post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda in Alameda, CAApril 27, 2011 at 11:19 PM

    Please - what is the last ingredient in the marinade? 1/4 C of what???

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Looks and sounds amazing! Great writing and photography, I'm so glad I found your site, I am now following =]

    ReplyDelete
  13. The chicken looks great, Sis. I'll give it a try. Matt looks JUST LIKE JEFF POLLOCK!!!!
    Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. P.S. I think Dr. Food is the sweetest, most patient man alive also (Well, Mr. Bicycle is pretty darn sweet, too....Patient? Hmmm...Let's say sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That rib roast looks like an awesome piece of meat, both before and after cooking.

    ReplyDelete