Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Channeling Jacques Pepin - Seafood Stuffed Bread

IMG_3180

I am going to share this recipe with you because I love you all and it is one of my very favorite recipes. Do not wrinkle your nose at it. I swear it is fantastic. It is not all that hard to make either.

IMG_3163

I baked a bread to use but it came out too small.

IMG_3164

So, I swapped it out for this one. Shut up. I am not perfect ya know.

IMG_3166

We are really lucky to get very fresh fish at H-Mart.

IMG_3168

Fresh mushrooms too (even though I AM growing my own I bought these)

IMG_3169

I made the herb butter and then spread it inside the hollowed out bread.

IMG_3170

1/2 of the cubed seafood is put inside bread and seasoned. Then the mushrooms go on top of that. Another layer of seafood and then more herb butter.

IMG_3174

Last the breadcrumbs made out of the bread that was taken out when loaf was hollowed.

IMG_3175

Now ready for the oven. Meantime we gnawed on some Crawdads! Ohhh baby.

IMG_3176

There is a reason they are called "Mud Bugs" but they were so good.

IMG_3181

Time for bread to come out of the oven. Damn, this was just as good as I remembered.


Seafood Bread
Jacque Pepin

INGREDIENTS:
1 large, round country-bread loaf

GARLIC-HERB BUTTER
1/2 cup herbs (I used tarrigon, basil and thyme)
3 large cloves garlic
3 Tbs sliverd almonds
1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 TBS dry white wine
5 oz haddock, cubed
5 oz tuna, cubed
5 oz salmon, cubed
7 oz squid, chopped
1/2 pound wild mushrooms
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

METHOD:
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut off the top of the loaf of bread and remove. Remove interior of bread for bread crumb mixture. Do not tear bottom or sides of loaf in removing interior. Leave approx 3/4 inch of sides. Whir up bread in a food processor to make 2-1/2 to 3 cups of bread crumbs. Set aside.

For the garlic-herb butter: Put the all herbs, garlic, and a pinch of salt atop in the food-processor and chopped ingredients fine. Add almonds, softened butter, salt, pepper, and white wine. Process until well blended. Using a spatula, coat the inside of the hollow loaf with about a third of the garlic-herb butter.

Cut fish fillets into 1-inch pieces, squid into strips, and slice the mushrooms. Put half the fish in the bread. Put all of the mushrooms on top of seafood. Add the last of the seafood. Add a layer of garlic-herb butter. Top with the breadcrumbs patting into butter. Sprinkle with wine.

Place entire loaf on a ridged cookie sheet and bake for about 1 hour.

Let the dish rest for 10 minutes after you take it out of the oven and cut it into large chunks or smaller pieces for an appetizer

9 comments :

  1. Holy hell, Janis! That thing is calling my name, singing my song, whispering sweet nothings in my ear! Want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen anything quite like this before. It's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, love the bread swap! Your bread would have been perfect for individual servings! (or that might be too much? well...maybe MY individual serving!) I've never has anything like this...will need to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! This looks great! I love Jacques Pepin! I remember watching him with my mom when I was little with his daughter. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! This looks so delicious. I would love to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love.August 25, 2011 at 10:41 AM

    Um, this looks fantastic! Bread and fish! Two wonderful things! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For years I made Pepin's scallops in brioche.  I made it so often it became a standing joke here..."Company?  What are you going to make, Heather? hmmmm...."  But it was always met with cheers.  This looks even better - maybe my new company dish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be making this as soon as the opportunity presents. It looks great and I need to know how it tastes!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, that does look fantastic (much better than the seafood cooked into the loaf while it baked that I imagined). Jealous about your fresh seafood.

    ReplyDelete