Monday, September 12, 2011

Korean Pork Neck Stew made with ribs not neck.

IMG_3464

Hi Readers! I wanted to share with you my new favorite recipe. You know that I am madly in love with Korean food. You didn't know that? Well, that means that you don't read this blog enough because I am always using run on sentences to describe this passion.

IMG_3457

I also am madly in love with Perilla. It is also known as Shiso. I planted in my backyard last year and to my surprise it came back. Not only did it "come back" but it grew in weird places. Sorta reminds me of when old men have hair growing out of their ears and places that it shouldn't be. Well sorta like that.

IMG_3449

Not only is it getting pushy with my basil, but it is growing everywhere it wants.

IMG_3451

It is growing in the rocks. Rocks! Now I have more of this stuff than I know what to do with. I mean really... How does one preserve Shiso? Hmmm. Shiso jam perhaps.

IMG_3441

Oh, I also grew mushrooms (See Dr. Food? You think you are so smart snickering at me telling me that it "never works"). I won this Back to the Roots Mushroom Growing kit from Rebecca at Foodie with Family (Waving to Rebecca! Hi Rebecca I love my mushrooms) however...

IMG_3448

I let them go a little too long. Shut up, I wanted them to get REALLY big. Pfft. You know you would have done the same. Anyhow I decided to use them in the Pork Neck Stew Made with Ribs Instead of Pork Neck. I couldn't get the necks this week. We went to H Mart and they were out of them so we bought pork riblets.

IMG_3445

I think that I liked the ribs in this better than neck because the stew then had a bit more meat in it.

IMG_3454

This is the Umma Paste that I also posted in the chicken recipe that I made from this same cookbook.

IMG_3457

Perillo cut into ribbons. This stew was so good that it almost made me tell it that I loved it more than I loved Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap but I didn't.

IMG_3444

See that picture? I made an omelette in my coffee mug! You are impressed I can tell. I just put the egg in there with some smoked turkey and a drop of cheese and put it in the microwave. Why am I telling you this in the middle of my blog post about Korean food? I don't know. I felt like it.

Pork Neck Stew with Potatoes and Perilla
Marja Vongerichten Kimchi Chronicles

Printable Version

2 lbs pork neck bones (I used 2lbs of ribs)
4 medium boiling potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 tbl soju, sake, or vodka
Umma Paste (see below)
3 Tbl doenjang (soybean paste)
2 dz perilla leaves, sliced into thin ribbons
2 tbl perilla seeds (couldn't find this time but that is ok it was fine without it)
1 tbl roasted sesame seeds
6 scallions, thinly sliced

Umma Paste
4 large garlic cloves, peeled
3 tablespoons gochugaru
(red pepper powder)
3 tablespoons fish sauce
3 tablespoons soy sauce

3 tablespoons gochujang
(red pepper paste)
3 tablespoons soju

Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and puree to a smooth paste.

Place bones in a large, heavy pot with enough cold water to cover them by 6 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and skim off any foam that rises to the surface. Return to a boil an cook for 5 to 6 hours, checking periodically to be sure the water doesn't completely evaporate. Broth will be cloudy and white and heady.

Stir in the potatoes, onion, soju (or sake), Umma paste, doenjang, and perilla leaves. Crush sesame seeds (with perilla seeds if using) in a mortar and pestle and add to soup. Boil until the potatoes are completely tender but not falling apart, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve the soup sprinkled with scallions.

Serves 4 to 6

12 comments :

  1. I am so wanting my own wall of  mushrooms!!! Lovely job

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want the mushrooms too. Badly.

    You know, when I do that to my husband, he asks me to please let him know when I'm changing gears so he doesn't get whiplash. The stew looks and sounds fantastic and the omelet; huh.

    ReplyDelete
  3.  My girlfriend would love the spices in this dish and this meal looks perfect for the kind of weather we are getting into. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. I planted a bunch of Korean perilla, too. You can pickle it, which is what many Koreans do with it. It also makes an excellent small lettuce type wrap with grilled meat and my all time favorite, kkaenip pesto!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many new to me ingredients in this stew. They all sound interesting. I think I would really enjoy this. Perfect to make for the change of seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. perilla is a perennial plant. once the plant starts flowering, i think that's when the seeds are just blowing in the wind. i expect to find them in various parts of my yard next year. 

    i have a recipe for kaenip kimchi. in my post i commented that you shouldn't use shiso, but i'm going to renege that and recommend making the kaenip kimchi with shiso. 

    this stew looks soooo good! i will have to try it since i have a few pounds of pork neck in my freezer. i also have the cookbook so will have to give it a try. have you tried her other recipes? 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Amy! I will give it a try. I love the recipes in this cookbook. I made the chicken (I posted it)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to try your Korean dishes – they look incredible
    and you definitely look like you
    know what you are doing. From a skill level, I am not ready for this one, I can
    admit it and bow down to you mama! 

    ReplyDelete
  9. The soup looks delicious, but how the heck did you make an omelette in your coffee mug?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you asked!  Easy.  Crack egg into mug.  Add a little milk and whip up.  Add anything you want to it and nuke for about 2 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Get up.  No bowing in front of me.  Love you and if you lived closer I would teach you how to make it.  It is easy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your killing me! I want this soooo bad!

    ReplyDelete