Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A recipe for the halibut...

IMG_5444

My grandfather was a fisherman. I grew up eating lots of fish. I remember huge fish on the front lawn of my grandparents house. I remember fish in their kitchen sink. I remember eating fish fish fish. I still love it. My grandfather shared a boat named the Joyce Ann. That is my sisters name. All the guys that owned the boat put their grandkids names in a hat and my sisters name got picked. The boat sank. Ha ha. If it was named the Janis Diane it would still be afloat. Well, no it wouldn't but I am still bitter.

IMG_5440

I made a really good recipe last night. It was halibut steaks with spiced eggplant relish. I really liked it.

IMG_5449

I don't know what else to say about it. I could make stuff up but...

IMG_5443

OH WAIT. I do have something else to say. It called for a chili jam and I just so happened to have some Sunchowder Jam that Wendy sent me. I used her Raspberry Pepper Jam and this jam is amazing. All her jams are amazing (waving to Wendy who doesn't read my blog either).

IMG_5451

Not one of my better photos. Shut up, I know none of them are too good.

Ok, so here is the scoop.

me

My birthday is coming up and we are going to New York to celebrate. We will be living it up. I will not be taking pictures nor blogging about it. I know I know... You are crushed.




Halibut Steaks with Spiced Eggplant Relish
Adapted from My Grill by Pete Evans

Printable Version

4 x 6 ounce halibut or salmon steaks
4 Tbl olive oil
4 lime wedges, to serve

spiced eggplant relish

1 eggplant
4 Tbl olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 shallots, chopped
4 anchovy fillets
4 Tbl fresh Italian parsley
2 Tbl capers, rinsed (I didn't use capers because I don't like them)
2 Tbl chili jam (available from gourmet food stores)
2 Tbl red wine vinegar

To make spiced seggplant relish, preheat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Toss the eggplant in half the olive oil and cook in skillet, stirring,, until golden. Drain on paper towels.

Add remaining olive oil to the skillet and fry the garlic and shallots over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until golden. Add the anchovies, parsley, capers, chile jam, vinegar and eggplant and mix well. Cook for another 5 minutes over low heat until all floavors have mingled well, then season with salt and pepper.

Set up outdoor grill for direct-heat (we used a grill pan inside on stove). Rub the fish with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on one side then turn and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on the other side until just cooked through.

10 comments :

  1. Happy Birthday Baby!  You are a pisser.  Jim's birthday is tomorrow.  We will not be living it up.  xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, come on Janis.  You NEED to take some pictures.  Just not the normal 'touristy' ones.  If the weather warms up, take a picture of your foot in a fountain, or something really 'odd' you see in NYC (look, I've been there, odd you can find).  Just be Janis, not what everyone else is doing.   

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see you this weekend. I will take a picture of you and Dr. Food and that way people will believe you went to NY ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I just have to point out that those are Swordfish steaks in your picture.  So the recipe works well with Swordfish too.  It was yummy.
    Dr. Food

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shit. You are right. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL I thought those looked strange for Halibut! I am crushed your not posting any pictures or bloging your trip. Have a wonderful birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bitter? Why are you bitter?  The boat was named after me and it sunk! It was a stinky, dirty little barge, to boot...and what's with Marlo Thomas running through the streets of New York laughing?  That is just weird. BTW, I haven't had halibut in about 35 years.  It doesn't taste like the kind Grandpa caught.  It is totally different....and the mercury...oy, the mercury!  Love you, Sissy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah...Happy Birthday, Sis!  Expect weirdness in the mail!  Joyce Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not REALLY bitter.

    I am going to be "That Girl" in NY. Creepy Schmeepy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This makes me laugh. My grandma was a fisherwoman. I also had to eat fish fish fish, but I only liked blue gill and it had to be deep fried. I'm sure that boat wouldn't have sank. ;) I love this b/c I've just come around to liking Salmon and need inspiration. Will be trying it soon.

    ReplyDelete