Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Hey Coco's mom! Manchego Cheese Custard - Natillas de Queso Manchego

IMG_0506

Ok, yes... I could communicate directly with Coco's mom. However, I am in a mad rush to get things going for Thanksgiving. I haven't even shopped yet. I also have 2 trips in the works and a guests for dinner next weekend. Oh wait! I also have a Xmas party to go to in there somewhere. So, I promised this recipe to Coco's mom (yes, I DO know her name but she is Coco's mom to me). I love Coco. Did I ever tell you that? You should see the ears on this pooch. I digress.

This dessert is wonderfully rich and really tasty. It did call for doing it in a mold and unmolding it but I laugh in the face of instructions. The following are my instructions. They are better than the original (so there!)

Manchego Cheese Custard - Natillas de Queso Manchego
adapted from La Tienda's website

1/3 lb ripe Manchego cheese, grated
1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs
1/2 liter cream
1/2 cup sugar to make the caramel
1 dozen walnuts

Preparation:
Place the sugar in the pan, sprinkle with water and caramelize over a hot flame. Coat the walls of ramekins with the caramel.

Beat the eggs with the sugar, add the very finely grated cheese and the cream. Beat together well and pour into the ramekins. Place in a dish of hot water and bake in a moderate oven for 30-40 minutes until, when a needle is inserted in the center, it comes out clean. Decorate with the walnut halves.

Oh wait! This salad was really good too but no one ate it.

IMG_0507

and lookie here, we made our own lobster stock with these roasted lobster sells.

IMG_0508

Okay okay I will go and get started on Thanksgiving...

4 comments :

  1. No one ate the salad? Why? I would have. And, what did you do with all the glorious lobster? As far as the dessert goes; yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salad was really good. Fennel, oranges and red onion.

    Lobster stock and lobster went into the paella.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am making these tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesss! Thank you! Coco says hi. :)

    ReplyDelete