Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A recipe from the archives and stuff that you probably don't care about

IMG_0250

This is my old kitchen in California. You probably can see that we had been entertaining. We don't use that many dishes by ourselves. I miss this kitchen even though it isn't half as good as the kitchen I have now. I loved this kitchen because it was the epicenter for our whole living space.

Home home home

I could stand at the stove and see this.

IMG_1520

I miss my small (way smaller than now) vegetable garden where the vegetables really grew and didn't wither and die because it was either torrential rain in the summer or sweltering hot.

IMG_1530

I miss cooking for my family (Hi Annie, I miss you)

DSCF0140

I miss thinking it was cool when it hailed. I had never seen 5 feet of snow and I wasn't missing anything there.

DSCF0136

I miss my old backyard.

Backyard

I miss my old backyard.



I miss my chair in the corner.

2020 Pacific

I just miss the house all together. Although it was not a very comfortable house at all. It was 1300 sq feet AND it didn't have ONE closet.

Evan at graduation

I miss my family (Hi Ev)

thanksgiving 008

I miss Lily. She was our first Saint Bernard. She died on the way out to our new home (which isn't new anymore).

shop

I miss my old Yarn Shop. Uh, wait...no I don't.

my girl

I really miss Lily.

carniverous plants

I miss my carniverous plants. Ok, maybe I should stop here. It may be going a little overboard.

One more one more...

fhm111

I miss my miniature cow.

IMG_2934

So this is what we had for dinner last night. I can't talk about the Headcheese and going to go get pig heads. Ok, I can tell you that we went and got a pig head this last weekend, but that is all I can tell you.


IMG_2892

We have been eating healthy salmon and beans and chard. Whoo Hoo!

IMG_2935

Will make my mother happy but makes for some pretty boring blogging.

IMG_2904

There may have been a "Steak sighting" this weekend as well.

IMG_2936

So it is time for "From Out of the Archives". I pulled out a recipe from my collection from the 80's. I think I am going to give it a try tonight because I don't even remember it.

Chickpea-Lemon Chicken Stew

1 whole chicken
3tbsp veg oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp eah salt and pepper
1-2 qts chicken stock
1- 15oz cn chickpeas
Juice of 2 lemons

Truss chicken. In dutch oven heat oil to med-high. Add onion and garlic and saute until translucent. Add 1 tsp turmeric, salt and pepper. Cook 1 more minute. Rub chicken w/remaining turmeric. Add chicken to the pot and sear on all sides until golden yellow. Add enough stock to cover chicken. Add chickpeas and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer 1.5 hours.

NOTE: I don't know where I got this because it is in my writing. I am pretty sure I have never tried it. I am going to use 2 cans of chickpeas because 1 can seems like it will get lost. Wish me luck. I will let you know.

IMG_3911

I miss my family.

n584061918_1185508_7742

9 comments :

  1. I like your comfy old chair corner.... :) And that stew sounds soooo good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come to Los Angeles so we can have a drink at Musso and Frank, and we can eat wherever you like, and we can see Marty and Elayne before they croak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. D. I would love to go to the Dresden Room! You and Scot need to visit. We will take you to the Wayside Inn. They serve the first American cocktail...whoo hoo or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww. You almost made me cry, Janis! This was such a sweet post. Funny the things we miss...stuff we would never think of missing until we are away from it. Love that corner chair- that looks so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Marty and Elaine!! Memories and the wonderful canned vegetables at the Dresden!! Love your place, was that in SF certainly not LA..wow,  you make me want to get out old pictures too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I'm homesick  :(  I had a long talk with my son in Atlanta yesterday and now this post and I want to take a trip  :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww.... Janis! This made me home sick too... and I'm home. I Love you guys! 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww. Your post made me sad. Especially about Lily : ( I miss Pete too. (By the way my week went nuts and  I am mailing your pepper powder on Monday. Don't think I forgot!) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dog with the scarf is too funny!  I found you on Twitter and I'm following you everywhere!:)  I'm FrancescaEdesia on Twitter.  Hello from Rome! 

    ReplyDelete