Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Ethiopian Dinner - Part II - T'ibs Alich'a

IMG_2444

So the party continues. Of course I had to make injera, which I can do in my sleep now.

IMG_2435


We decided to do a beef dish called T'ibs Alch'a

IMG_2437

We also did a veg. I love Kale so I went with Zelbo Gomen which is "Boiled Kale"

IMG_2436

We also went with a lentil dish that was awful so don't pay too much attention to this.

IMG_2433

The dinner was a success! I didn't post the Doro We't (chicken stew) because I have already posted it.

IMG_2446

To end the meal I did something that was not Ethiopian but it cooled our tastebuds off. This recipe came from a collection of old recipes in Gourmet. My favorite issue because it has all of the favorites over the years. It is a lemon curd, ice cream and meringue. I have also posted this recipe before.

Ugly but good.

IMG_2449

Mild Fried Beef Stew
adapted from Exotic Ethiopian Cooking

Ingredients:
2 C red onions, chopped
2C spiced butter (recipe to follow)
2 lbs beef, cubed
1/2 tsp garlic
1 tsp ginger, grated
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric
2 -3 anaheim chili
2C water
salt to taste

1. Cook onions over a low heat without grease making sure it does not burn. Add spiced butter and stir.
2. In a separate pan, fry the meat, without grease, until tender.
3. Add the meat to the onions and stir gently.
4. Add spices while still stirring and cook 15 - 20 minutes.
Add the water, stir and let simmer.
5. Wash and cut the peppers into long slices and add to sauce.

Serve hot.


Spiced Butter (Niter Kebbeh)

2 lb. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 onion, coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons minced garlic
4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 cinnamon stick (approximately 1" long)
1 whole clove
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1. In a large saucepan, melt the butter slowly over medium heat; do not let it brown. Then bring butter to a boil. Stir in the onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered and undisturbed for 45 minutes. Milk solids on the bottom of the pan should be golden brown, and the butter on top will be transparent.

2. Slowly pour the clear liquid into a bowl, straining through cheesecloth. It is important that no solids are left in the niter kebbeh.

3. Transfer the kebbeh into a jar. Cover tightly, and store in the refrigerator.


Zelbo Gomen - Boiled Kale
Adapted from Exotic Ethiopian Cooking

Ingredients:
1 lb kale
1 C red onion, chopped
1/4 C vegetable oil
1 Tbsp garlic, mashed
1 Tbsp ginger, mashed
4 C water
salt to taste

1. Wash Kale in cold water.
2. Tear the leaves from the stem, peel the stem and cut into small pieces.
3. Add the water to the kale and bring to a boil.
4. Stir in the salt, oil, onion, garlic, and ginger.
5. Cook until kale is tender (about 20 minutes)

Serve hot or cold.

3 comments :

  1. That kale looks great. I wish I could make injera in my sleep! I have to try making it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks amazing Janis. I am in awe of your injera making skill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I still have yet to make injera, even though you and I had a conversation long ago about it! Maybe you should just come and make some for me in your sleep, LOL!

    ReplyDelete