Monday, May 10, 2010

Ethiopian Dinner - Trying new things Part I-Sambossa's

IMG_2440

I have done Ethiopian dinners before but I decided to try a couple of new things this time. When I invited our friend Al to dinner I asked what ethnic food did he wanted me to cook. He had heard that I make my own injera and he requested Ethiopian. I figured that since I was going to do this I may as well try some new things. First off I went hunting for an appetizer. Gruel didn't sound too good but these Sambossa looked good. I think that every culture has a comparable nugget like this. This one was particularly good.

IMG_2430

Really what it comes down to is meat in dough. The dough is always the hardest part. I always have to struggle through it. This time was no different because the package was really hard to open.

IMG_2431

No, all joking aside we made a decision that it just wasn't worth making the dough this time. I am a purist but I have to tell you that these came out really well with the won ton wrappers.

IMG_2441

Sambossa
adapted from Exotic Ethiopian Cooking
Daniel Jote Mesfin

Won Ton wrappers

Filling:
1/2 C red onions, finely chopped
1lb lean ground lamb or beef (I used lamb)
1/2 tsp minced ginger
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp garlic, minced
1/2 tsp cayenne
salt to taste
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 sprigs fresh coriander (I used more) chopped
3 sprigs mint (I used more) chopped
2C water

1. Combine all ingredients in heavy sauce pan.

2. Bring to a boil and stir to keep smooth.

3. Reduce heat to medium and let mixture simmer uncovered.

4. Correct flavor for spices and salt balance.

5. As water simmers away, stir often to prevent mixture from sticking, especially during final stages.

6. Cook until all liquid evaporates.

7. If ground meat has a lot of fat, drain off at this point.

8. Let mixture cool slightly before stuffing.

9. Fill won ton wrappers with 1 to 2 tsp of filling. Moisten and press the edges together in a triangle shape.

10. Fry the Sanbossas, several at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Place the golden brown Sambossas on paper towel to rid of excess oil. Serve hot or cold with or without chutney.

Serves 6 to 8

Part II of the Ethiopian adventure will be coming soon. Sneak preview of where the magic happens!

IMG_2443

4 comments :

  1. Bravo, these look great! I've done the same thing with making momo in the past..and also when I ran out of samosa dough during my birthday party. Good old egg roll dough! I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hooooooooo enjera en samusa c'est bien mais enjera ce difficile danc ce paye europe je crois ce tu ai ressuer bravo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo, these look great! I've done the same thing with making momo in the past..and also when I ran out of samosa dough during my birthday party. Good old egg roll dough! I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete