Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Pumpkin Hummus Recipe and more blatherings

IMG_4112

I bought another big turkey this year. Every year Dr. Food tells me not to buy such a big bird and every year I do anyhow. I will explain why...

I used to have very big Thanksgivings when I lived in California. I mean like 20 people or more. I had big birds and I always have bought a fresh and local bird. Since moving to New England our Thanksgiving have gotten way smaller but I still have a thing for fresh and local and 26lb turkeys. So, this time was no different and we were only having 7 people (including us). I went to the butcher to pick up the bird without Dr. Food so that I didn't have to listen to him complain that I just spent 82.00 on a TURKEY. I felt so proud of myself until I got home and opened up THIS email:

Picture 3

WHAT THE ???? Seems that Dr Food was paying bills online as I was buying that bird and the charge came through and he saw it. NO FAIR. Next time HE can go get a turkey...wait, no he can't. He will buy the frozen one with the scrawny legs. Stay tuned until next year to see who wins "Iron Chef Turkey Edition".

IMG_4111

This was my star of the show though. It is Pumpkin Hummus. I was watching TV the morning before and some local chef was making this. I had to try it. It was a huge winner in my book. So, I have to share. The recipe was for about 100 people so Dr. Food cut it down to a reasonable size.

Spicy Pumpkin Hummus
Printable Version

1/4 C olive oil
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
2 tsp Sriracha chili sauce
2 15oz cans chickpeas, drain water and save
2 tsp cumin, ground
2 Tbl Tahini paste
2 Tbl lemon juice
1 C pumpkin puree
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large pan, add the olive oil and garlic. Saute for until garlic starts to turn golden. Add the chickpeas and sauté for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add remaining ingredients. Stir well and puree in food processor in batches with some of the reserved chickpea liquid. There will be extra liquid, just use enough per batch to help the mix puree into a smooth consistency. Puree until very smooth and cool down. Serve in a shallow bowl and top with diced cucumber, red onion, crumbled feta cheese and olive oil. Serve with pita chips.

Next star is the "Harvey Wallbanger Cake". When I lived in California my friends Monte and Peter would every year bring this cake the day before Thanksgiving for my family to have. Now that I live in New England I don't have my Monte and Peter delivering me cakes and treats and shoes (they used to leave shoes on my porch to be funny. They got them off the street [ yes, the streets! This was California NOT New England] and at thrift stores and they would leave them on my porch. Oh, one time they left a broken guitar.) Ok, so I am getting off point. I made a Harvey Wallbanger Cake to keep with tradition.

IMG_4108

Yes, it really does have to good stuff in it.

Harvey Wallbanger Cake
Monte and Peter gave me the recipe

Printable Version

Harvey Wallbanger Cake
1 Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme Cake Mix (or any 2 layer lemon cake mix)
1 large Instant French Vanilla Pudding
¼ c. oil
4 eggs
¾ c. orange juice
¼ c. vodka (or to taste…)
¼ c. Galliano (or to taste…)

Mix all ingredients together. Pour into well-greased and floured 10" tube pan. Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes and then take out of pan and let cool completely.

Drizzle:
1 c. powdered sugar
½ tsp. vodka
½ tsp. orange juice
½ tsp. Galliano

Blend ingredients together until smooth. Drizzle over cake when cake has completely cooled




IMG_4106

So it was a wonderful Thanksgiving with new friends and old traditions (well not THAT old, I didn't come over on the Mayflower or anything like that. Just MY traditions.

At any rate the bird came out pretty.

IMG_4117

Oh, and Parker got a new hat and should be ready to come visit Gammy in time for snow.

150304_466211356918_584061918_5714051_4255133_n

18 comments :

  1. YUM! My sister and I were just talking about a pumpkin hummus! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started looking at your pumkin hummus recipe but got sidetracked by the gorgeous Harvey Wallbanger cake.

    (Cute hat!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this spread was fantastic, your Turkey looks spectacular, and that cute little face at the end just top it all adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there :) loved the photos..would you follow me?
    http://wwwdinnertime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. TiffKey: This was a great recipe and worth making.
    Hester: The cake is one of our favorites.
    Claudia: Thanks!
    Paige: I am now following you :--)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice hat on the little man:) It is hard to change the habits, especially downsizing your cooking if you are not used to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh... your grandson is a ball of cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pumpkin hummus sounds wonderful. Must be great with the kick from the sriracha. Yum!
    And I don't blame you for wanting a fresh, huge turkey. They just taste so much better, don't they?? Your finished turkey is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pumpkin hummus sounds really interesting and healthy. I will try this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. man thats a pretty bird - you roasted that to perfection - I cant bring myself to let my turkey get that dark but it sure looks good - next year I am going to go for the "tanned" turkey look and not the "blonde with a little color" look I usually do....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so thankful that The Boy and I are on the same page when it comes to paying a little extra to get the good food. That is a gorgeous turkey! And it's clearly in good company, since both the hummus and cake look scrumptious. I'm very jealous of your Thanksgiving guests.
    And look how big Parker is getting! OMG, he is just the most adorable thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Harvey Wallbanger Cake - Can't believe I missed this - I'm just not trying. Your home looks very festive and the food lovely. All the best for the Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't even know where to start. The e-mail; very, very funny (and something my husband would do). The turkey, both cooked and raw; amazing...HUGE even. Harvey Wallbanger cake; I'm wanting some right now!

    Parker....adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi

    the hummus reads really good. we get pumpkin all the year round here (almost). so i'll flag this recipe for an anytime-hummus. thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi

    the hummus reads really good. we get pumpkin all the year round here (almost). so i'll flag this recipe for an anytime-hummus. thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice hat on the little man:) It is hard to change the habits, especially downsizing your cooking if you are not used to.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The pumpkin hummus sounds really interesting and healthy. I will try this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. YUM! My sister and I were just talking about a pumpkin hummus! :D

    ReplyDelete