Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Vegetable and Lamb Ragout - Marquit Khodra (Tunisian)

IMG_3893

Ok, how many times can I say I love Paula Wolfert recipes? The woman is brilliant. We got our new supply of Leyden Glen lamb and the first thing I made with it was this Vegetable and Lamb Ragout recipe from Paula Wolfert's "Mediterranean Cooking".

IMG_3895

It has some of my favorite ingredients in it. It was perfect for a cold day.


IMG_3880

It really is an easy dish to make. Go ahead and make it!

IMG_3897



Marquit Khodra - Vegetable Ragout
Mediterranean Cooking - Paula Wolfert
(Printable Version)
1/2 Cup Chickpeas -- soaked overnight
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1 Pound Pork -- cubed
1 Small Onion -- chopped
2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
1 Can Artichoke Hearts
1 Teaspoon Cumin
1 Large Chipotle Pepper -- crushed
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
3/4 Pound Turnips -- cubed
1 Large New Mexico Green Chiles -- chopped
10 Ounces Swiss Chard Leaves -- shredded
10 Ounces Fresh Spinach Leaves -- shredded
1 Cup Parsley -- chopped
Salt And Pepper -- to taste
Warm Flatbread


Drain chickpeas. In small saucepan, cover the chickpeas with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile in dutch oven, combine oil, pork, and scallions. Cook for about 8 minutes. Add tomato paste and turnip and stir until it coats the meat about 2 minutes. Add chickpeas and cooking liquid. Cover and simmer over medium low heat for 30 minutes. Add artichokes, cumin, garlic powder and chiles. Pile greens on top, sprinkle with salt, cover tightly and cook over medium heat for 45 minutes. Stirring occasionally after 30 minutes. Serve in soup bowls and pass the bread.

7 comments :

  1. Wow now I know why Kathy Gori loves these recipes so much this sounds and looks awesome nice recipe from Paula but you did a great job with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks seriously good. Most of my favorite foods in one dish! I haven't made lamb for my children yet and this looks like a great way to introduce it. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delish Janis! Just lovely and there is not much better than farm fresh lamb. You have a tagine right?
    ps..I'm thinking of starting my knitting again

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pegasus: All of Paula's recipes are amazing. Never had one that I didn't absolutely love.

    Kim: That is a great idea. Another good one is Lamburgers.

    Kathy: Knit Knit Knit!! I am just finishing up a sweater in Vogue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vegetable and Lamb Ragout - Marquit Khodra (Tunisian) Nice post of Recipes thanks for share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't made lamb for my children yet and this looks like a great way to introduce it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks seriously good. Most of my favorite foods in one dish! I haven't made lamb for my children yet and this looks like a great way to introduce it. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete