Thursday, June 28, 2012

California, Parker, and Baking Cookies

IMG_0855

Look at that face. We flew across the country and I couldn't get to California fast enough to see my Parker (and Annie and Tim but well...ya know).

Deli!

So many things happened that between jet lag and old age I am not completely sure of the order. I believe that our first lunch was in San Francisco at Wise Sons Deli The food was the best deli food that I have had since being in New York. Annie and I had the Deli Burger. It was ground with pastrami; beet-horseradish spread, deli mustard, iceberg & red onion on a challah bun. Yum. I think Tim and Rich stuck to Pastrami. We shared some chopped liver. This place is so so so good.

Humphry Slocombe

After lunch we waddled to Humphry Slocombe because someone wanted ice cream. Parker got some too. I skipped it because there was no way I could eat another bite.

Fois ice cream!

Ok, I had a bite of Rich's Foie Gras ice cream sandwich. Hey, we made history by having the last of the legal Foie Gras.

IMG_0863

So not only did eating go on but so did lots of playing. Parker and I played in his room and I got to read to him. I read him many partial books which he would close in the middle and say "The end".

IMG_0847

My Parker (aka Mike - which he has taken to calling himself) and I played with Play Dough. He has his own technique.

IMG_0943

He really gets into it.

Thai in the hood

We went for really good Thai food one night. This place is awesome. It is in Oakland in not the best neighborhood but it is worth the risk to eat here. It was amazing but I am not going to tell you the name because then it will become all Trendy and over crowded (but I can be bribed).

IMG_0875

I had to have Tom Ka Gai.

IMG_0851
There was also down time. Like watching Yo Gabba Gabba with Papa.

IMG_0852

Only a couple of timeouts. He looks like he is suffering doesn't he?

IMG_0938

There was a party at his daycare that we got to attend.

IMG_0896

There was the park in Sonoma.

IMG_0898

A little wine tasting.

@oysterwine Hog Island!

There were Oysters at Hog Island. Although the oysters are still amazing the place has gotten disgusting. Valet parking and a VERY drunk 30-something fellow trying to speak french turned me off for good.

IMG_0846

I think that Parker could have done without the oysters.

IMG_0908

Grammy couldn't.

IMG_0923

There was zoo time that was a blast.


IMG_0936

Parkers favorite were the Fruit Bats. Mine too.

Parkergoat

Parker also loved the goats. Shhhh don't tell him what is in my freezer.


IMG_0931

The goats took a liking to Annie. Her new BFF snuck up on her.

IMG_0937

Last meal we all had together was at Rumbo Al Sur We sipped cocktails and ate good food. It was really fun.


baking

Last but not least was cookie making with Parker. We made Banana chocolate chip cookies together. He was a good helper.

cookie
Good cookie eater too.


IMG_0915

I miss my little guy already.


Banana Cookies Recipe
Simply Recipes

1/2 cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup of sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 cup of mashed bananas (about 2 ½ large bananas)
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2 cups of flour
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of ground mace or nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
1 cup of chocolate chips


1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and continue to beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
2 In a bowl, mix the mashed bananas and baking soda. Let sit for 2 minutes. The baking soda will react with the acid in the bananas which in turn will give the cookies their lift and rise.
3 Mix the banana mixture into the butter mixture. Mix together the flour, salt, and spices and sift into the butter and banana mixture and mix until just combined.
4 Fold into the batter the pecans or chocolate chips if using. Drop in dollops onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until nicely golden brown. Let cool on wire racks.
Makes about 30 cookies.


2 comments :

  1. Love love love the stories and pictures of you and Parker and the crew. I really like seeing a kid start to develop an adventurous  palate early 

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can think to say is Awwww. He is adorable and your adventures together made me smile.

    ReplyDelete