Thursday, January 3, 2013

Hello? Hello? Yes, I am still alive.

IMG_6354


I have been busy with the sweetest boy ever. I also was thrilled to spend time with SBE's (sweetest boy ever) mom and dad.

Wait! I just saw some photo's that were secretly taken while I was making a Hannukah dinner weeks ago.

IMG_6299

I was trying to figure out where some of these pictures were coming from and I think that I figured it out.

IMG_6301

Uh, this is my neighbor Jeff. He was over for Hannukah dinner. Hey Jeffie, you aren't very good at being sneaky. I think I now know who took the pictures.





Ok, so I threw this in there because it makes me smile every time I watch it.

IMG_1998

There was cooking but I forgot what everything was. Shut up, I am not going senile.

IMG_2021

Look at that! Melts my heart.

IMG_2001

Went for Dim Sum


IMG_2013

Parker made cookies for Santa.

IMG_2008

I made leg of lamb for Xmas Eve dinner.

IMG_2007

Paula Wolfert’s Panade of Leeks and Mixed Greens

IMG_6345

Annie made an Eggnog Cheesecake.

IMG_6347

IMG_2009

After putting cookies out and writing a note to Santa it is bedtime.

IMG_2012

Some really good gifts from Annie, Tim and Parker.

IMG_2011

Fermenting Crock that I really wanted from Dr. Food.

IMG_2004

I had taken out starter for injera. We were going to make Ethiopian food for Xmas night dinner. *I* pooped out but Dr. Food took over the task.

IMG_2014

Parker played with his new toys.

IMG_6361

I got to try out my Ebelskiver pan that Jenny sent to me!

IMG_2018

Dr. Food got a Pizza oven for Xmas so we decided to try it out. Parker helped mommy roll out the dough (wish I had video of her throwing it up in the air).

IMG_2016

Ready to go!

IMG_2017

Oooops, no picture of the final product.

IMG_2020

Last night here we went to a Habachi house. Parker learned how to use chopsticks.

IMG_2031

We waited for snow but it came too late. Annie and Parker got to see a little of it but it didn't really snow until they were gone.

IMG_2025

IMG_2033

I miss you guys already.

IMG_6375

What am I eating these days? Chicken soup. Sick.


Panade of Leeks and Mixed Greens with Gruyere Cheese
Paula Wolfert

3 large leeks (white and light green parts only), chopped
1 red onion, chopped
5 green garlic shoots or 8 to 10 garlic cloves, sliced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt
One 1-pound loaf stale chewy bread with crust
1 1/2 pounds (about 10 cups) mixed leafy greens (sorrel, chard, parsley leaves, arugula, spinach, and watercress), deribbed and shredded
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Freshly ground pepper
Grated nutmeg
3 cups whole milk, heated to simmering
1/2 pound Cantal or Gruyère cheese

Method
1. Measure the leeks, onion, and garlic to be sure you have about 1 quart.

2. In a 7- or 8- quart pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Slowly stew the leeks, onion, and garlic for 10 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon salt and cook for 5 more minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 250°F (120°C).

3. Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes (bread matters here). Find a chewy bread with a good crust. You should have about 2 quarts. Spread the cubes in one layer on an oiled baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, or until just golden. Let cool and store until ready to use.


4. Add the greens to the pot, cover, and cook over low heat for 45 minutes. Uncover and boil away excess liquid. Allow to cool. Add the lemon juice, pepper, and nutmeg to taste. Correct the salt. (Up to this point the recipe can be prepared 1 day in advance. Cool, cover, and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before continuing.)

5. About 2 1/2 hours before serving, oil a deep 3-quart casserole, preferably earthenware. Place one-third of the bread cubes in the dish, top with half the greens, and repeat, ending with the bread cubes and patting lightly to make an even topping. Gradually pour the hot milk down the insides and over the top of the panade so everything is moist. If necessary, add 1/2 cup water. Cover with the grated cheese and a sheet of foil.

6. Bake in a preheated 250°F (120°C) oven for 1 3/4 hours. Raise the oven temperature to 400°F (200°C), uncover, and bake 20 more minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to relax for about 10 minutes before serving.

5 comments :

  1. Great post. I want latkes when we visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great post, I almost feel as if I were there..minus all the delicious food however. Your family is charming and I wish I lived closer and regret that when you were my neighbor we never ever met

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine the trouble we could get into??

      Delete
  3. I have to say, that is one cute kid!


    And that panade sounds incredible. Just the thing I LOVE to eat this time of year.

    ReplyDelete