Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Lordy Lordy Lordy Lamb Shanks

IMG_6378

I have been sick for a year now. Ok, not a year. Actually 2 weeks. I just started feeling better. However, I am not in a cooking mood. So, we have been sort of faking dinners. How do you "fake" a dinner?

Janis: Dr. Food what should we have for dinner?

Dr. Food: I dunno. What do YOU feel like?

Janis: I don't know that is why I asked you.

Dr. Food: (names 100 things we can cook)

Janis: I don't feel like any of them OR cooking

Dr. Food: Want to get something delivered?

Janis: I dunno....


See why I haven't been blogging?

IMG_6376

We went to the grocery store for meager provisions and while there scored 2 really meaty lamb shanks. I got motivated for half a second and we made Brad Farmerie's Moroccan lamb shank with goat cheese grits

Ok, so I hate grits. I simply substituted for mashed potatoes. Shut up, I know they were instant mashed potatoes. I have the flu. I had the flu. Whatever.

Oh, I also forgot the apricots. Still, this was a great dish.

IMG_6383

So, this week I am gearing up for a Cassoulet dinner party. That means a LOT of cooking. Is there a Cassoulet take-out?


Brad Farmerie's Moroccan braised lamb shanks with goats' cheese grits

4 lamb shanks
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 thumb (3-inch piece) of fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
2 cloves garlic finely minced
1 red chili, chopped
1 onion, fine slice crosswise
1 carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoon ground coriander seed
2 cinnamon sticks
3 star anise
2 pinch saffron
1 teaspoon oregano
3 cups brown chicken stock
2X 16oz tins of peeled tomatoes
8 dried apricots, sliced
Salt and pepper
Garnish:

One-eighth cup toasted sliced almonds
20 high quality non-pitted green and black olives (I prefer Moroccan salt cured)
Picked parsley
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Place the olive oil, onion, garlic, and ginger in a pot and place over medium heat,

Stir the contents, cooking for 5-6 minutes (or until they begin to soften),

Add the carrots, celery, and spices (cumin, coriander, cinnamon, star anise, saffron, and oregano) and continue to cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring all the time.

Add the chicken stock, canned tomatoes, and apricots, increase the heat, and bring to a boil.

Place the sauce into a deep pyrex dish (or baking dish/casserole).

Place the lamb shanks onto the sauce, where they will submerge three-quarters of the way, and place in the oven uncovered.

The exposed lamb will brown in about 20-30 minutes, so you will need to check it and rotate within the sauce to expose a different portion of the shank. Continue checking and turning the lamb every 30 minutes until they are evenly browned.

Cook until the meat is starting to fall off of the bone and the sauce has thickened, about 2 and a half hours (If they become completely browned and the sauce is thick but the meat is not tender, cover and cook until they are done).

Remove from the oven, skim any visible fat that may have come to the surface and serve immediately garnished with olives, toasted almonds, and parsley or allow to cool to room temperature and place in oven safe serving dish and refrigerate until needed. To reheat, place covered dish in a 325F oven for about 30 minutes.

10 comments :

  1. Micaela P. Torregrosa-MahoneyJanuary 15, 2013 at 8:56 AM

    mmmm, will you make this for me when I come visit you? This sounds like comfort food. Except for the olives, you can have those. And now I have a craving for goat cheese grits, see what you did?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was shanked once. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll eat all the grits if you eat all the lamb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can make the cassoulet for you and deliver it. ;-) How's that sound?


    Despite the flu, I hope you're having a good 2013 so far. My hub and I were sick as dogs ringing in the new year. The only way is up, right?


    I wish I could reach in and have me a bite of those lamb shanks. I'm starving right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Couple in the KitchenJanuary 16, 2013 at 7:23 AM

    This lamb dish sounds heavenly, but we'd leave out the apricots AND olives and leave the grits. As for the cassoulet, when you find the delivery place, let us know!!! Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete