Thursday, February 28, 2013

A really good recipe with a little whine

I am sick of winter. I am sick of a lot of other things too but I can't say it here. Ya know, I am pretty darn even tempered but when someone can make me question myself it is bad. One thing lead to another and I started thinking about ego. I looked up lots of stuff about it. I looked up why I feel like "less" and demeaned by someone that acts superior but can't master the English language. I looked for a poem to share with you but found this public service announcement instead. I liked that it was a deep subject in the style of Dr. Seuss.




Ok ok.... Less ego and more meatballs.

IMG_6483

This weekend was cold and snowy. Duh, what is new? So, I just wanted something comforting (ok, shut up. I am not feeling sorry for myself. It has been a hard month). I decided to make Lamb kofta tagine with artichokes, goats’ cheese and eggs.

IMG_6479

You know I have a weakness for anything with an runny egg in it or on it.

IMG_6468

I also didn't kick Dr. Food away from the kitchen this time. We cooked together and had fun.

IMG_6470

It really was a simple recipe. Well worth making and not stressful.

What? I bored you this week? Ok, I am sorry.



Lamb kofta tagine with artichokes, goats’ cheese and eggs
Recipe from Greg Malouf

800g lamb, finely minced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp dried mint
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
Sea salt and white pepper
2 tbsp olive oil, for frying
½ bunch flat leaf parsley, picked, chopped, to garnish
1/3 bunch coriander, roots removed, picked, chopped, to garnish

Sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
3 medium onions, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 long green chillies, deseeded, sliced
6 vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
10 strands saffron
2 cinnamon sticks
½ tsp cayenne pepper
Sea salt and white pepper
500ml chicken stock
8 small free-range eggs
6 pickled artichokes, in oil
150g goats’ cheese
View conversion table


To make the meatballs, in a large bowl, combine the lamb, onion, parsley, mint, cayenne, salt and pepper. Mix well. Using wet hands, take a tablespoon of the mixture to form a walnut-sized ball. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil, add the meatballs and cook until brown. Drain on kitchen paper.

To prepare the sauce, heat the oil in a heavy-based casserole dish. Add the onion and garlic. Sauté until the onions are translucent. Add the chilli, olive oil, tomato, cumin, coriander powder, saffron, cinnamon, cayenne, and salt and pepper. Stir well. Add the stock, stir, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until it has reduced to a very thick gravy.

Add the meatballs to the sauce and continue cooking for a further 10 minutes. Carefully break the eggs into the sauce, add artichokes and goat’s cheese. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes or until the eggs are just set.

Garnish with the parsley and fresh coriander. Serve with Arabic bread to mop up the runny egg yolks. Alternatively, serve with plain buttered couscous and a dollop of thick natural yoghurt.

5 comments :

  1. Looks great - Jim runs away from runny eggs. I hope you never grow sick of me. I love winter. Please don't hate me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have I mentioned how much I love lamb? Oh my gosh that looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That ego poetry guy creeps me out!,, meatballs look good, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is sooooo creepy that it cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete