Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Ok ok here is the recipe that everyone has been asking for!!



Janis's head: You know I keep telling them that I didn't invent this recipe or nothin. I just made it and it might be the best thing I ever tasted. It is a recipe from the blog "A Beautiful Bite". Pretty pretty blog.

Janis: Ok, well you told them it wasn't your recipe.

Janis's head: I did but they keep acting like I didn't tell them that.

Janis: Ok ok...shut up.

Ok, so here is the recipe that I promised to post. It was so very good. I mean it. It might have been close to one of the best things I have ever made.

Janis's head: The best thing you ever made? I think you are overstating again.

Totally worth making.

French Country Short Rib Stew
Adapted from A Beautiful Bite

4 lbs beef short ribs
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup olive oil + 1 Tbl
1 large onion, diced + 4 Onions thinly sliced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 cup red wine
1 14oz can diced tomatoes
4 cups beef broth
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
2 Tbsp fresh thyme, minced
1 French baguette, cubed and toasted
8oz Gruyere, shredded



Preheat oven to 325º. Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour.

Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Cook short ribs in the oil until golden brown and crusty. About four minutes per side. Remove from oil and put on plate. Set aside.

Reduce heat to medium and cook onions and carrots in leftover fat from ribs. Cook for five minutes. Add garlic, red wine, tomatoes, broth, herbs and short ribs. Cover with lid and place in oven. Cook for two and a half hours or until meat falls off the bones.

Remove meat and place on a dish. Shred the beef.

Using a strainer, separate the solids from the liquids. (i.e. the veggies) Skim the fat off of the strained liquid using a spoon or a fat separator.

Once the fat is separated, add the veggies back to the liquid.

Heat pan over med heat and add 1 Tbl butter or olive oil. Sautee onions until carmelized (about 10 minutes)until golden brown.

Add the beef and carmelized onions and back to liquid and stir. Portion into oven safe bowls. Top with bread cubes and Gruyere.

Bake in a 450º oven until brown and bubbly.

And as an added bonus and because I promised my pal Sharon.... here is another recipe that was very very good that we made during the week. Perfect for a cold night.


Mexican Chicken Stew
Adapted from The Birthday Dinner

4 chicken legs (thigh and drumstick), separated

3 tablespoons of olive oil

1 red onion, sliced

3 cloves of garlic, chopped

1 dried ancho chilli pepper (optional, but way better)

1 jalapeño, sliced and seeded

1 teaspoon of dried cumin

1 teaspoon of ground coriander

2 bay leaves

1 bunch of cilantro

2 cups of chicken stock

1 large can of tomatoes

1 avocado

1 small can of white pinto beans

salt and pepper

Use a heavy pot and medium-high flame.  Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and place half your chicken in the pot.  You are going to want to do this in two batches. You are looking to get good color on all sides of the chicken. This takes about 3 minutes each side. Remove the chicken and set side. 

Turn the heat down to medium, add onions to the pot and season.  Cook the onions for about 10 minutes.  Caramelize them slowly.  Add garlic and jalapeño.  Cook for 3 more minutes.  While the onions are cooking, add dried ancho chilli to a food processor with a cup of hot/boiling water.  Let it steep for a couple minutes and then chop it up.  It should be close to pureed. 

Add the chicken back to the pot, and all the spices.  Cut the stalks off of the cilantro and tie them with string (for easy removal later). Reserve the tops for a garnish.  Add the cilantro stalks and the ancho chilli mixture to the pot. 

Deglaze the pot with the chicken stock and scrape the bottom. Bring to a simmer and reduce the stock by half, about 10 minutes, and then add the tomatoes.  Season and bring to a simmer.  Cook for another 30-40 minutes. 

Add pinto beans to pot about 10 minutes before you want to eat. Garnish with avocado and cilantro.





I know it doesn't look pretty. I wasn't planning on blogging any of this. My hordes of fans (read: 2) asked for these recipes and being the giving person I am I obliged.

Ok, I will go back into hiding now. Call my agent if you need me.




6 comments :

  1. I love you. I'm glad you wrote this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara | Creative CulinaryFebruary 6, 2014 at 12:25 PM

    I love you too. Now have short ribs on the list; I want this BAD. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am cooking as fast as I can. ;--)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy to have you back, if only for a brief moment. Both recipes sound amazing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete