Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Vegan Brown Rice Bowl...Yes you heard ME right

IMG_5138

Where do I start. Ok, I will start with Saturday. Saturday was a lets just slop around the house day. What should we cook day. We decided that we would make some Chawanmushi. No, that wasn't a sneeze. Chawanmushi is a Japanese savory custard with shrimp, chicken and a surprise in it. It is one of my very favorites and really a winter food. That is why I decided that we better hurry up and make it because Winter is never really gonna happen anyhow.

IMG_5083

First thing that has to happen is that Dashi has to be made. It is made with seaweed and bonito flakes. Oh grow up and expand your taste buds a bit before you wrinkle up your nose and click off of this blog.

IMG_5084

This is the bonito flakes.

IMG_5100

This is the dashi after being strained. It now is used as a soup base.

IMG_5101

The dashi gets put in some whipped up eggs.

IMG_5103

A few cubes of chicken and a shrimp are put into these cute little cups. There is the secret ingredient!

IMG_5102

Ginko Nuts! I love them. When we lived in the Bay Area I could get them fresh. Now I have to resort to canned which are not very good. Dr. Food hates them. When he chews into one he makes this really weird face. So, I put them into his anyhow and he gives them to me to eat.

IMG_5106

They are then steamed.

IMG_5116

Very good. I know that I posted this recipe before but I had to show it again.

IMG_5118

We also made a little Dyna-mite! Yum. I love this stuff.

IMG_5124

This recipe has all kinds of seafood in it. It is served in Japanese restaurants although I don't know if it is just an American thing or if it really is served in Japan. I got the recipe from RasaMalaysia.com. It turned out great and tasted just like in restaurants.

IMG_5126

Then Dr. Food went out of town and I was on my own for a couple of nights. I had just seen this Macro Brown Rice Bowl in Food and Wine and was dying to try it out. It was so good I wanted to cry.

IMG_5127

No meat kids. JUST Quinoa, Brown Rice and Vegetables.

IMG_5130

Just love kale!

IMG_5132l

I will definitely be making this again.

IMG_5136

I could eat this every night. No, I swear.

IMG_5137

This bowl of good has a Tahini dressing which makes it a bowl of even better.

IMG_5140

So night two of Dr. Food being gone was my beloved Kimchi Rice Bowl.

IMG_5145
You know it had to have an egg on top of it.

IMG_5148

SLURP!


Quinoa and Brown Rice Bowl with Vegetables and Tahini
Food and Wine Magazine

Printable Version


1 cup long-grain brown rice
1 cup red quinoa
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
1 carrot, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
Salt
1 head of broccoli—stems peeled and sliced into coins, heads cut into small florets
One 12-ounce bunch kale, large stems discarded
1/4 cup tahini, at room temperature
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons warm water
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 ripe avocado, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 cup mung bean sprouts

In a medium saucepan, cover the brown rice with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the rice is just tender, about 40 minutes. Drain and return the rice to the saucepan; keep covered.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the quinoa with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover the saucepan and simmer over low heat until the quinoa is tender and all of the water has been absorbed, 20 minutes.

In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until translucent, about 4 minutes.

Add the carrot and cook until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the shiitake, cover and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the zucchini, season with salt and cook, stirring a few times, until tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.

Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet. Add the broccoli, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring a few times, until deep green, 5 minutes. Add the kale, cover and cook, stirring a few times, until the broccoli and kale are just tender, 4 minutes. Season with salt. Stir in the other vegetables.

In a small bowl, whisk the tahini with the lemon juice, garlic, warm water and crushed red pepper. Season with salt.
Transfer the brown rice and quinoa to bowls. Top with the cooked vegetables, diced avocado and bean sprouts. Serve, passing the tahini sauce at the table.

8 comments :

  1. I just bought a bunch of kale on a whim yesterday. I'm gonna have to try this, sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great. I am on a big avocado kick right now too. (I say this like I am not always on an avocado kick)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummity yum YUMski! As I mentioned the other day, I'm also craving me some veggies. Veggies and bright springy flavors. I'm going to make this veggie bowl. xoxoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd eat that veggie bowl with you. It looks fantastic. Of course, just about everything you make does. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man that looks so good!  I love avocados and kale.  

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...my....I want it all! All of it, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...Wow! Looks delectable, every bite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks quite good, but you should remove the word "Vegan" from the top title.  There are all kinds of non-vegan items in here!  I'm going to veganize it myself though because all the other parts sound amazing together :)

    ReplyDelete