Thursday, November 19, 2009

Evan is visiting

IMG_1828

When Evan was a kid I would make him the same orange rolls (Pillsbury of course) every Saturday morning. He wanted the same damn orange rolls. So, yesterday I knew that he would be here this morning and I made some orange rolls. He probably is over it but *I* have this need to keep treating my kids like they are kids. It is for me not them.

IMG_1832

Orange Rolls
Recipe adapted from Chickens in the Road

One-loaf Grandmother Bread recipe
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 teaspoon yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar*
(Optional add-ins: 1/3 cup oil, 1 egg)
4-5 cups flour
*If you have a sweet tooth, add up to 1/3 cup sugar to the dough instead of 2 tablespoons.

In a large bowl, combine water, yeast, sugar, and salt, along with oil and egg, if using. Let sit five minutes. Stir in first cup and a half cup of flour with a heavy spoon. Add more flour a little at a time as needed, stirring until dough becomes too stiff to continue stirring easily. Add a little more flour and begin kneading. The amount of flour is approximate–your mileage may vary! Continue adding flour and kneading until the dough is smooth and elastic. Let dough rise in a greased, covered bowl until doubled. (Usually, about an hour.) Uncover bowl; sprinkle in a little more flour and knead again. Roll out onto a floured surface into an approximately 15 x 8 rectangle.

For the filling, spread a combination of 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter (softened), 4 tablespoons sugar, 2 teaspoons orange juice, and 1 teaspoon orange extract or orange peel. For an orange glaze on top, stir together 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons orange juice (I used more), and 1/4 teaspoon orange extract or orange peel (I used more).

14 comments :

  1. You are such a great mom :o) I'm sure they still enjoy to eat those...pretty rolls must smell wonderful in the kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't look old enough to have a grown child! These rolls sound heavenly. I think I'd ask for them too, if I was your son!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so yummy. I have a version that uses pie crust. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these rolls look so tasty! a perfect twist from cinnamon roll!

    ReplyDelete
  5. excellent. i love all these recipes replacing the frozen stuff. Thanks for this post, will be stealing this soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Those are so pretty and sound absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you're looking to adopt an extra kid, I wouldn't mind having a mom that makes orange rolls every Saturday. :) Actually, I've never had an orange roll before, but these look so delicious that I'll have to try making some one of these days. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad i don't live near you. those look dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. those look perfect!!! i remember eating many an orange roll at sleepovers with my best friend, so i know where your son is coming from!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are so pretty-and so symmetrical, well done! I have never had orange rolls but they sound quite tempting

    ReplyDelete
  11. Food gawker is based on the 1000 camera shots...these are delicious and look wonderful...I have 22 pictures sent in and everyone of them was harsh lighting...I would take these and eat them any day of the week...forget them they are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. those look perfect!!! i remember eating many an orange roll at sleepovers with my best friend, so i know where your son is coming from!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are so pretty-and so symmetrical, well done! I have never had orange rolls but they sound quite tempting

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you're looking to adopt an extra kid, I wouldn't mind having a mom that makes orange rolls every Saturday. :) Actually, I've never had an orange roll before, but these look so delicious that I'll have to try making some one of these days. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete