Monday, November 9, 2009

Guilty cooking day 1

So Dr Yarn is out of town again. He is in India. While he is chowing down on exotic Indian food I am eating "stuff". This is stuff that he wouldn't eat if here were at home but that I find pure comfort food. It almost always consists of something with a fried egg on top.

I started off with roasting stuff.


IMG_1763


Moved on to the fried egg (ok, so I don't have the PERFECT fried egg for the PERFECT photo op but it was just my dinner that I was really going to eat...don't get me started).

IMG_1766

Voila! Comfort on a plate.

IMG_1767


Spanish Sweet Potato with Chorizo, Peppers, and Fried Egg
From the book Pure Simple Cooking by Diana Henry
Serves 2


Ingredients

2 sweet potatoes
1 red onion, halved and cut into half-moon-shaped slices
1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into wide strips
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into wide strips
~ Olive oil
1½ tsp. pimentón (smoked Spanish paprika)
¼ tsp. ground cumin
~ Salt and pepper
8 oz. chorizo, cut into thick rounds
4 oz. bacon or pancetta, cut into meaty chunks
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley leaves
2 large eggs

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Cut the sweet potatoes into chunks — you don’t have to peel them — and put in a small roasting pan with the onion and bell peppers. Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil and the pimentón, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir the vegetables until they’re coated in oil and spices. Roast for about 30 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender and slightly charred.
Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a frying pan and cook the chorizo and bacon until colored. Turn the heat down, add the garlic, and cook for another minute. Add all this to the cooked vegetables. Stir in the chopped herbs.
Heat a little more oil in the same frying pan and fry the eggs. Serve the sweet-potato mixture topped with the fried eggs.

9 comments :

  1. Yum!

    What is it with misters? My husband won't eat eggs for any meal but breakfast. And I'm pretty sure that if I served him this for breakfast, I'd get a very strange look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love eggs at night..it's totally lazy food and since i made lunch, had two business meetings, and churned up some ice cream for our neighbors who are coming over tonight. i think i can get away f=with eggs..alan had an apple some cheese and a couple of slices of prosciutto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, when my husband is out of town I also make something with fried eggs or an omelette :) This is a yummy supper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you are feeling. But I like your plate of food. I can imagine the googey egg all over the vege... YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! We'd eat eggs for any meal of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks really good! lots of great ingredients in this dish

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would so be happy with this for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My fried egg food is bibimbap. Sometimes you have to play with your food! LOL!

    ReplyDelete