Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A little umami simmered chicken

IMG_1852

I haven't made this dish in a long time but it is a recipe my sis gave me years ago (like in the 80's). I have no idea where she got the recipe. Through the years I made this a lot. Especially when my kids were small. I kicked it up a notch with homemade umami catsup. It was originally made with regular catsup.

IMG_1851

Simmered Chicken
1 whole chicken
1 tbl oil

1/3 C soy sauce
1/ C brown sugar
1/2 C water
2 tbl catsup ***
1/4 C dry sherry or apple juice
1/2 to 3/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 garlic clove minced
1 green onion thinly sliced

***Umami Catsup
1/4 C cider vinegar
1/4 C brown sugar
1 can tomato paste
1 tsp salt
2 tsp tamari
2 tsp worcestershire
2 tsp oyster sauce
2 anchovies mashed into paste
Simmer over low heat.


2 tbs corn starch
1 tbs water
2 tsp sesame seeds

Heat oil and brown chicken on all sides. Mix next 8 ingredients and pour on chicken. Cover and simmer 45 minutes ( turn chicken halfway through) or until juices run clear and chicken in cooked through. Remove chicken and skim fat from sauce. Mix corn starch in water and add to sauce. Cook stirring until thickened. Spoon onto chicken and sprinkle with sesame seeds

You can use regular catsup if you feel like it. I don't think making my own made that much difference.

IMG_1855

I served with brown rice and some sauteed chard. Good dinner.

6 comments :

  1. Unami catsup - I am loving this. I can use this on almost anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice Janis! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful table..man o man that's one big bird!
    mine is 14.8 lbs for 6 people. smaller than I usually cook. love your thanksgiving pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unami catsup - I am loving this. I can use this on almost anything.

    ReplyDelete