Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sort of a weird day but there were carrots

IMG_1750

I sat outside this morning drinking my coffee and looking around me. I saw with joy that it was sunny and beautiful and with dread that the leaves were all off the trees (for the most part) and on my lawn. I looked over to my vegetable garden and realized that it was over. As I walked over to check it out I saw that I forgot to pull up the carrots. I did so and to my surprise they looked great. This got me thinking of what to do with them. Soup. I made a ginger carrot soup.

IMG_1753

I would love to tell you that it was wonderful but truth of the matter was it tasted like baby food. Argh. I hated it.

IMG_1762

So, I won't be giving you a recipe but I will leave you with this. It is how I felt realizing that the vegetables were going going gone.



Oh, I did get some brussel sprouts out of the garden too. Pretty pathetic but I am thankful for the handful. Ok, I am going to go have a drink...

IMG_1759

5 comments :

  1. Don't feel bad, my boys hated it too! Hope your day improved. Your video reminded me of home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine the lovely scene, the excitement & thrill in pulling up carrots from the ground. Make me feel like moving back to the countryside....the serene and clean environment, far from the hectic, polluted life of the city. It's my dream :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, I hate when that happens, that you make something with a beautiful ingredient, only to have it turn out badly. It happens to all of us though, so don't feel bad! I made a risotto the other day, a recipe I've made before and loved, with these huge prawns. Horrible. Don't know why, it just wasn't good. Oh well - next time! At least the day was pretty, and your carrots did look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I love your honesty. I made a plum jam once that tasted pretty much like cough syrup. It's part of the process, though, right? Julia Child dropped plenty of potato pancakes on the path to greatness (and even one famously on TV after she got there).

    Keep it up - love your blog!

    ...and BTW, I'm going to be posting a recipe for Brussels sprouts shortly myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I love your honesty. I made a plum jam once that tasted pretty much like cough syrup. It's part of the process, though, right? Julia Child dropped plenty of potato pancakes on the path to greatness (and even one famously on TV after she got there).

    Keep it up - love your blog!

    ...and BTW, I'm going to be posting a recipe for Brussels sprouts shortly myself!

    ReplyDelete