Thursday, December 9, 2010

Bwhaaaa....I made Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap and it was good

IMG_4170

We went to H Mart last weekend and finally bought the bowls to make Korean food in. I have said it a thousand times before but I will say it again. Korean food and Vietnamese food are my favorites. They are MY comfort food. I wish my mom was Korean so she could have cooked this stuff for me when I was a kid (no offense mom. I asked you if I could say that before I wrote it here. I do love you just as you are but I do wish we had been Korean). Ok enough. On with the subject at hand.

IMG_4166

When we were at H Mart we bought some "stuff" to eat. We weren't even thinking about the Bi Bim Bap. This is spinach, bean sprouts and watchimicallit. I don't know what that other stuff is but it was really good. It was fern of some kind.

IMG_4162

I cooked up some mushrooms to put in the bowl.

IMG_4163

Here are the bowls that I heated in a 500F oven. You can be sure that I stayed away from these and let Dr. Food handle them. I am well known for burning myself and I have the scars to prove it.

IMG_4159

I marinated some grated carrot (such a great picture I should submit it to Foodgawkr and Foodspotting. These photos will make me famous I tell ya.. har har har)

IMG_4165

I made some Ginzu sauce (I know I know. This isn't what it is called but I also didn't have a recipe either so I can call it what I want). It was red pepper paste, a Korean condiment called gochujang and some vinegar. I also added a little sugar and garlic.

IMG_4168

There was also a little meat involved. I marinated this meat in some soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar and a little sugar.

IMG_4167

I also had gotten some of my beloved Ggakdugi Kimchi (Korean Pickled Daikon Radish). It was sorta embarassing because some of it spilled on the floor the day before. If you saw my refrigerator you would know why it fell. Anyhow, my neighbor came over and when she came in she said "Um, ya know your house smells a little funny". How polite can you get? My house didn't just smell a "little" funny, it smelled like something died in here.

On to my favorite part. The Egg!

IMG_4164

Check it out! It came out perfect. I finally did what I read about but never believed. I didn't grease the crap out of a pan to make an egg. I wiped on some olive oil and that was it. A tiny bit. I also didn't futz around with it. I left it there. A thing of beauty. You know how I feel about eggs.

IMG_4170

And there you have our Monday night dinner. Another perfect blurry and dark photo shows you that you should have been here. The rice was even crunchy on the bottom.

Oh. Wait.

155804_471179471918_584061918_5785468_635240_n

P-man opted for some milk.

So if you want to make it I suggest you get the recipe at Tasty Meals at Home I didn't really have a recipe but I used this one as a guide.

14 comments :

  1. I love H Mart so much. I adore buying "stuff" and munching on it. Just went and got a big tub of gochuchang - I could eat it with a spoon. Your egg is truly a thing of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, congratulations! I have yet to try this at home and you are so right - it is such a comfort food. The egg is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to look at this post with a title like that! thought it was some rock and roll food and it does rock - looking good. ( love new pans too- why can't I keep them like that ??)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is absolutely one of the most beautiful dishes I've seen and definitely a perfect egg.

    Huge kudos to you for linking to the recipe you used instead of reprinting it. I love being able to go over and compare the two and see a new blogger to boot.

    I'm getting the idea that I don't want that Ggakdugi Kimchi in my kitchen or house....ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sure you're not Korean! You did a fab job on this. I've never made a dol sot bibimbap yet. And that egg, perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Super H Mart and I love your Bi Bim Bap! I'm going to have to try it out one of these days soon.
    ~Mary
    Hopefully this didn't go through twice - I think I forgot to enter the secret 'code' on the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great! And it is so funny about what you told your mom about being Koreans :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trix: I could live in H mart. I swear.
    Belinda: Thanks!
    Pauline: It was rock and roll
    Mom Chef: Thanks for the egg compliment. It means a lot to me.
    Food O: It didn't go through twice and even if it did I love hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks good! And you even made the sauce. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to try this I have not bipped bapped bimmed or bopped - and that egg is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this looks amazing - you are so adventurous on the kitchen.
    There is no way I would trust myself with the bowls either - I am quite clumbsy. And 500 Degrees - forget about it. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

    And ....that is the most beautiful egg in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks great! And it is so funny about what you told your mom about being Koreans :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is absolutely one of the most beautiful dishes I've seen and definitely a perfect egg.

    Huge kudos to you for linking to the recipe you used instead of reprinting it. I love being able to go over and compare the two and see a new blogger to boot.

    I'm getting the idea that I don't want that Ggakdugi Kimchi in my kitchen or house....ever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to try this I have not bipped bapped bimmed or bopped - and that egg is perfect!

    ReplyDelete