Monday, December 27, 2010

Hi it is me and yes I have been cooking

I know that I haven't posted in a while but I have been busy. I have been opening up presents and eating and playing with new toys. Like this one

IMG_4220

Actually, that is a recipe on there and I was cooking and playing at the same time. See? *I* can multi-task.

IMG_4232

I have also been having fun watching the BLIZZARD of 2010 (as the news likes to call it). Pretty cool getting all this snow. I even got to stay home from work today. My boss called and told me that I should. How cool is THAT?

IMG_4233

This is the view out my front door. Why didn't I go OUT in it? You crazy? No no...I will later to shovel. Really.


IMG_4218

Meantime we made a Red Pepper, Goat Cheese and Mushroom thingy. It did take a little time layering the phyllo, but it was well worth it.

IMG_4221

IMG_4224

This is a great dish for vegetarians. I really will make this again.

IMG_4226

We loved how it came out.

IMG_4227

It also has a balsamic glaze that you drizzle on the top of it. I also think this would be really good with feta instead of goat cheese.

IMG_4229

Oh, and stay tuned for our onion soup trapped in wonton appetizer post. We were (ok, *I* was) too lazy to cook them for our guests so we will try them out today. I already froze the onion soup that you need for this recipe. My sis predicts that this is going to be a disaster in the making. Ok, we will see. Meantime you can find me in front of the fireplace drinking hot buttered rum. Thanks "A Thought for Food!"

Savory Mediterranean Baklava (not really called "Red Pepper and Goat Cheese and Mushroom thingy")
Fine Cooking - Magazine Special Appetizer Issue

Printable Version


Look for Athens brand phyllo twin packs (two 8-ounce packs in one box). The phyllo sheets are the perfect size for this dish. The components can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. Wait to assemble the baklava until you're ready to bake it.

FOR THE MUSHROOM LAYER:
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons finely minced shallot
½ cup finely diced sweet onion
4 cups roughly chopped assorted fresh mushrooms (about 1 pound)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
½ cup low-salt vegetable or thicken broth
¼ cup dry white wine (optional)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

FOR THE RED PEPPER LAYER:
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 large red bell peppers, cut into1/4-inch dice (about 3 cups)
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 cup finely diced red onion (about 1/2 medium red onion)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

FOR THE GOAT CHEESE LAYER:
20 to 22 ounces good-quality goat cheese
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon finely minced rosemary
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon kosher salt

FOR THE BALSAMIC ROSEMARY SYRUP:
2 cups balsamic vinegar
2 to 3-inch-long sprig fresh rosemary; more sprigs for garnish

1 pound 9x14-inch frozen phyllo dough, thawed in the refrigerator overnight
½ pound unsalted butter, melted; more as needed

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 375°F.

Make the mushroom layer: Melt the butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the shallot and onion; cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, rosemary, broth, and wine if using; season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the mushrooms are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool.

Make the red pepper layer: Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the peppers, garlic, onion, and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring often, until the peppers and onions are well softened, 7 to 10 minutes. Don't let them brown; add more oil if the pan is dry. Let cool.

Make the goat cheese layer: In a food processor or with an electric mixer, blend the goat cheese, eggs, cream, rosemary, pepper, and salt until smooth. Set aside.

Make the balsamic-rosemary syrup: In a medium saucepan, bring the vinegar and rosemary to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until reduced to a thin syrupy consistency, about 15 minutes. Watch closely during the last few minutes of cooking. (The reduction goes fast at the end and if you overreduce it, it may be too thick or even burn. It will thicken more as it cools.) You should have about 1/2 cup syrup. Remove from the heat; discard the rosemary.

To assemble: Unroll the phyllo; keep it covered with plastic wrap and a damp cloth. Liberally brush the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish with some of the melted butter. Lay a sheet of phyllo in the dish and, starting from the edges, brush lightly with butter. Repeat with seven more sheets, brushing each with butter.
With a rubber spatula, spread the mushrooms evenly over the phyllo. Repeat the layering and buttering with eight more sheets of phyllo. Spread the goat cheese evenly over the phyllo. Repeat the layering and buttering with eight more sheets of phyllo. Spread the red peppers evenly over the phyllo. Top with eight more phyllo sheets, buttering as you go. Butter the top two sheets as evenly as possible.
With a sharp knife, cut the baklava lengthwise into thirds, cutting all the way to the bottom of the pan, holding the top layers of phyllo in place with your fingers. Next, cut diagonally from one corner to an-other. Continue making diagonal cuts about 2 inches apart to create 2x3-inch diamonds. Bake until deep golden brown, 40 to 50 minutes. Let rest for at least 15 to 20 minutes.

To serve: Drizzle a little of the syrup on each plate. Arrange one or two pieces of the baklava on each plate, drizzle with a bit more syrup, and garnish with a rosemary sprig.

14 comments :

  1. Mm, that looks like a really good thingy! I hope you're having fun in the snow - Getting off work is certainly nice! I am still sick of snow from last year and very happy that we only got a couple of inches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great recipe! How clever. I so like the sound of all those tomatoes, etc. trapped in the crisp pastry with balsamic drizzle. A welcome relief from the meat overload at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thingy looks incredibly yummy but made me crave the sweet version of baklava. I'm going to have to go raid the freezer and see if I have any phyllo dough!

    Have fun shoveling!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this sounds like a lot of work, but I can already tell it would be delicious! I will put this on my husbands list of things to make for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that looks so good. And I love your xmas gift! Too bad we didn't get much snow here. It appears it totally missed us. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool. Great flavor combo... and, since you recommend it, I might give this a try with feta! Thanks for the recipe and for the 'blizzard' shots.
    Happy New Year,
    Don

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks gorgeous... and fragrant! Love the sound of the rich balsamic glaze on top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank God for that snow since it brings about awesome dishes like this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my this look delicious! I love phyllo and all of the other ingredients in this recipe for that matter! Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my this look delicious! I love phyllo and all of the other ingredients in this recipe for that matter! Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mm, that looks like a really good thingy! I hope you're having fun in the snow - Getting off work is certainly nice! I am still sick of snow from last year and very happy that we only got a couple of inches.

    ReplyDelete