Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Zaatar and Sumac are sexy!

IMG_4270

So I was snooping around on Kitchen Play and they are having a contest to recreate a dish that was made with this months sponsor's product. The sponsor this month is MySpiceSage.com. Pam of Cave Cibum had made Za’atar Crusted Chicken as this months main course and I loved the looks of this recipe. I happened to have the two ingredients in my cupboard. I can recreate that! Dr. Food will love it. Oh wait! One major problem... I don't have chicken I only have Pork Chops. Well the show must go on. I will take ingredients that probably never touched pork before and give it a go. So I forged ahead and you know what? It was really good. I mean REALLY good.

Here is the Zaatar. Zaatar is a Middle Eastern spice blend.

IMG_4269
Here is Sumac also a Middle Eastern seasoning.

IMG_4268


I took Pork Chops and dipped in egg white. Oh wait! Since you are all my closest friends on here I have to show you this really disgusting egg seperator that I got a long time ago. It is gross but I want to share.

IMG_4271

Crack the egg and pour into his head and voila!

IMG_4273
Maybe this should go to the next White Elephant Party that Dr. Food has at his work.

Ok, back to the recipe. After the egg whites I dipped the chops in a combo of the spices and Panko. I then browned them in some butter and olive oil. After they browned I put them in a dish and covered with grated cheese and parsley. I let them heat through and let the muenster cheese melt and brown.

IMG_4278

Zaatar and Sumac Crusted Pork Chops
Adapted from Pam at Cave Cibum for Kitchen Play

2 Pork Chops
2 cups shredded muenster cheese
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
1/2 cup za'atar
1/2 cup panko
1 Tbsp sumac
2 egg whites
1 tsp salt
1 Tbl butter
1 Tbl olive oil

Combine za'atar, panko, and sumac on a plate. Put 2 egg whites into a bowl. Dip pork chop in egg white and then in panko mixture. Heat olive oil and butter in pan over med/high heat. Brown pork chops (about 4 minutes on each side). Meantime grate cheese and mix with parsley. Cover chops with parsley and cheese mixture. Bake in a 350 oven for about 10-15 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted and brown.

10 comments :

  1. I'm a big fan of sumac, but never used it seasoning meat. Must be great! Your pork chops look so appealing! And I love that cute egg seperator, never seen something like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you took inspiration from Pam's recipe and ran with it. Your finished dish looks delicious. Plus, that egg separator is hilarious. (Can you believe it...my two young daughters each received one of those for Christmas this year. They are a hoot!)

    Thanks for playing along with Kitchen Play and good luck!

    Best,
    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have za'atar and sumac around the house, but no chicken ;) Thanks for taking a stab at my recipe - I'm happy to hear that the flavors work well with other meats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zaatar and I have long been in a committed relationship, but I never thought to use it on meat. Revolutionary!

    And the egg separator is awesome. I want my own. Happy 2011! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your egg separator is hilarious... Ugly, but somewhat useful, and you don't get your fingers all dirty! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year!!! I love zaatar and sumac, and would never, ever have thought of using it on pork - I believe you are right, this may be a first. The egg separator is classic. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. with Lebanese husband I too have zaatar and sumac around the house. your recipe looks really good (gross egg separator)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zaatar and sumac are just winners. Just give me sourdough bread and nice olive oil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! You use sumac, you live in New England, and your blog is hilarious. We just put you in our blogroll. Cook on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! You use sumac, you live in New England, and your blog is hilarious. We just put you in our blogroll. Cook on!!!

    ReplyDelete