Saturday, December 26, 2009

Finding traditions

IMG_1987

I celebrated my first real Xmas after I married Dr. Food. We were living in the Bay area near my brother and his family. We would go over there Xmas eve and Xmas day. On Xmas day I would bring breakfast to eat before the gift frenzy started. This strata is what I would bring most of the time.


IMG_1985

It is put together the night before and then baked the next morning. It is fantastic. So, this year we are in New England and we had no family around on Xmas morning. I went ahead and put one of these together the night before so that we could have something familiar. It is easy and a fantastic dish for a brunch.

Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Strata
Bon Appétit | December 2003

18 slices firm white bread (such as English muffin bread), crusts removed
6 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced
8 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
4 ounces provolone, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup chopped green onions
6 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil

5 large eggs
2 cups whole milk
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter, melted

Line bottom of 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish completely with 1 layer of bread, cutting some slices to fit. Arrange half of prosciutto evenly over bread. Sprinkle half of goat cheese and half of provolone over. Sprinkle with half of green onions and half of basil. Top with second layer of bread. Layer remaining prosciutto, goat cheese, provolone, green onions, and basil atop bread. Cut remaining bread into 1/4-inch cubes. Sprinkle over top.

Whisk eggs, milk, mustard, and salt in bowl. Season with pepper. Pour egg mixture over strata; press down on bread with spatula. Drizzle melted butter over strata. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Uncover strata and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Bake until center is set, about 1 hour. Remove from oven. Preheat broiler. Place strata under broiler until top is golden, about 30 seconds. Cut into large squares and serve.

A tradition is born.

8 comments :

  1. A tradition indeed. My wife and I have been without "other" family members on Christmas for many years in a row. We have traditions that are very important to us...

    What could be a sad time is very much "our" time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great dish! I am sure I would love it. No family either and on my end, the longer I live in the US, and the less I get attached to traditions. That strata would be perfect any day of the year in my house! CA is calling you :o) - Did you hear it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a delicious tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always great to have a delicious tradition :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a delicious tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jackie Gordon Singing ChefDecember 20, 2011 at 1:42 PM

    Love this!  Thanks for suggesting it. I'm making a big dinner for Xmas eve so I can prep a strata way ahead of time, then throw it together before I go to bed then cook it off in time for 10am brunch on Xmas day.

    ReplyDelete