Sunday, December 13, 2009

Hanukkah and Xmas and stuff

IMG_1943

It is holiday time and I just haven't really gotten into it. Sure we are going through the motions but I haven't been feeling my old spunky self. So, this is what I have done so far:

1. Dressed the dog in reindeer ears and put up a tree (as I mentioned before that didn't go as planned)

Our neighbors invited us for a Hanukkah party. They made the party for me me me. Kim had every imaginable Jewish food including gefilte fish and horseradish, borscht, matzoh, smoked salmon, and a brisket and potato pancakes. It was the best Hanukkah party I have ever been to. My "pretend that they are mine" babies were all dressed up and beautiful. There was even a Hanukkah cake with a big ole menorah on it in blue icing. Very cool.

I made the chicken soup and matzoh balls.

IMG_1940

IMG_1941

So, last night I felt that I needed to make a Hanukkah dinner and we invited other neighbors. I made brisket and potato pancakes. Me being me I forgot to take pictures so I recreated the dinner out of leftovers for a reenactment.

IMG_1944

And just because I love you all... You know love you in that "mwah mwah" way here is the recipe for the best brisket ever. It comes from a friend from years passed. It was her aunt Irenes recipe:


Aunt Irene's Brisket

1 4-pound beef brisket
Kosher salt
Pepper
1 onion, thinly sliced into half moons
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup prepared chile sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 12-ounce bottle beer

Salt and pepper both sides of the meat. Place beef in a roasting pan.
Cover with onion. Combine ketchup, chile sauce, brown sugar, garlic,
and beer. Pour mixture over meat. Cover securely with foil. Bake at
300 degrees F for 3 to 4 hours. When the meat is tender, remove foil
and bake uncovered for an additional 35 to 40 minutes. Chill the
brisket separately from the gravy. Puree the gravy while hot.

Happy Hanukkah. I will keep you posted about Xmas.

12 comments :

  1. A reenactment, that's funny!
    Happy Hanukkah, I made latkes too!
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always have brisket for Christmas Eve dinner. It is an easy, wonderful, throw-in-the-oven-and-forget-about-it meat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post! now i feel guilty for not making alan some latkes..there are still several days left

    ReplyDelete
  4. the dog is so cute. maybe I should dress up my doggie for xmas too. easy dinners are the best in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dog is so funny, not sure he loved to wear those horns though! He must be thinking, ok I give up :o) Beautiful Hannukah dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been too busy noshing on other people's latke's to make my own but I will make my own batch this coming Friday to close out Hanukkah! YuM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh boy...that dog. How u dressed him up! I think he looks miserable knowing he's not a reindeer....haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Hanukkah... I drank myself a bottle of and handed out bottles of HE-BREW Beer in the spirits of the season last night... Maybe this idea will help

    we were in the holiday spirists...

    http://yearonthegrill.blogspot.com/2009/12/neighborhood-cookie-beer-exchange.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds delicious - brisket and latkes! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you take the doggie like that to the party? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Hanukkah... I drank myself a bottle of and handed out bottles of HE-BREW Beer in the spirits of the season last night... Maybe this idea will help

    we were in the holiday spirists...

    http://yearonthegrill.blogspot.com/2009/12/neighborhood-cookie-beer-exchange.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. great post! now i feel guilty for not making alan some latkes..there are still several days left

    ReplyDelete