Thursday, December 3, 2009

It is time to come clean...

I get comments on this blog all the time how decadent my cooking is. I know it is meant as a compliment and I take it as such. However, I need to confess that I do not eat like this every night. As a matter of fact most nights are less than exciting. The good Dr. Food and I allow ourselves to cook something outrageous on the weekend. Most the time for friends. So, lets take a glimpse into a typical weekday meal.


IMG_1895



That is turkey sausage that you are seeing there.


IMG_1901

Throw it into a pan with some vegetables and add garbanzo beans and black beans.

IMG_1903

Throw into a flour tortilla and put some low fat tasteless cheese on top.

Voila....Dinner!

Don't hate me. It is never too late to come clean.

Easy Enchiladas
from Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook

2 teaspoons canola oil
1/2 pound hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed (I used sweet Italian pork sausage)
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup canned stewed tomatoes
3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 (6-inch) flour tortillas (I used whole wheat)
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese

Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with non-stick spray.

In a large skillet, heat the oil. Cook the sausage, bell pepper and onion, stirring frequently to break up the sausage. Cook until browned, about 6-8 minutes. Add the chili powder and cumin; cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, both beans, and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Place the tortillas on a work surface. Spoon the mixture down the center of the tortilla, then roll the tortilla up. Place it, seamside down, in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Sprinkle the rolled enchiladas with the cheese. Bake until heated through and the cheese is melted - 30 to 35 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Makes 4 servings

17 comments :

  1. Hey, these quickie meals are sometimes just as good as the delicious, fancy ones we choose to post! Lets see, like what I ate for breakfast? Leftover brown rice with some watered down milk (so I could reduce the calories), a dash of cinnamon, a bit of agave nectar, and some raisins. Thrown in a tupperware container, and microwaved this morning. And that's fancier than the hard-boiled egg, fruit, and nuts combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a nice simple meal. I like simple meal and quick too...less than 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At 6 PM last night I opened my freezer and pulled out leftover frozen soup. The night before we ate the last Thanksgiving mashed potatoes (I had thought we'd finished them the day before!), fried up with all the leftover gravy and a couple bunches of kale. I kind of love those evenings. Thanks for sharing yours--everyone can use a taste of reality!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go Janis! This recipe is so me. I've always been a go with the flow, non planning type of person. Don't usually prepare "gourmet" style meals that require much planning and skill. That doesn't mean I can't whip up an ordinary meal that's fabulous. Just like the one you show here! BTW I love love love enchiladas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. been nothing but leftovers for a week...

    and you made a lot from that simple meal

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's common for most of us.

    All of the reviews I do are of chocolate eaten on Saturdays (our Sacred Day in the Cult) or at special events such as birthdays dinners out at restaurants. I just take notes and pictures then write up a post when other news about chocolate is slow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I cooked during the week like I do on the weekends we wouldn't eat until 10pm most nights! That's why this kind of a post is so great-- offers up new ideas for weekday meals. Thanks for sharing your secret :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You actually went to more trouble than I would on one of those nights :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quick and tasty is just as important as laborious and scrumptious. We must have "balance in the force" of the kitchen. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great. I do a lot of one pot wonders myself. But you still come up with fantastic weekend feasts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to do a post on a week of our actual meals. I always say we only eat fancy every other day. Other days end up being quick easy meals like yours here, and these are nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh hey now it's okay to have one pot meals! I make them often too

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read somewhere that loads of famous cooks just eat normal food like this most of the time

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh hey now it's okay to have one pot meals! I make them often too

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read somewhere that loads of famous cooks just eat normal food like this most of the time

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, these quickie meals are sometimes just as good as the delicious, fancy ones we choose to post! Lets see, like what I ate for breakfast? Leftover brown rice with some watered down milk (so I could reduce the calories), a dash of cinnamon, a bit of agave nectar, and some raisins. Thrown in a tupperware container, and microwaved this morning. And that's fancier than the hard-boiled egg, fruit, and nuts combo!

    ReplyDelete