Monday, December 21, 2009

Grown Up Kool Aid



It was snowing and snowing and snowing so there wasn't much to do but stay at home and hang out. What better way to spend the afternoon but drinking Swedish Glogg the grown up Kool aide. Sitting by a fire and drinking this makes it much warmer.

IMG_1983

Glogg
Ingredients
2 cups water or orange juice
1 (3-inch) piece orange rind
1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
2 cinnamon sticks
6 whole cloves
5 whole allspice
2 cardamom pods, bruised
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 (750-ml) bottle red wine, such as Burgundy
1/2 cup sugar
Garnishes: blanched almonds, golden raisins

Combine first 9 ingredients in a pot over medium heat. Bring mixture to a simmer, being careful not to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves. Strain mixture, and serve immediately, or gently reheat before serving. (If you prefer a stronger flavor, steep spices longer before straining.) Garnish, if desired.

Note: For a nonalcoholic version, use water or orange juice, and substitute 3 cups Concord grape juice for the wine. Omit sugar, and follow glögg procedure.


Then I parked myself in my den and drank. I suggest you do the same. Better than shopping.

xmas

8 comments :

  1. Mmm, glug, glug, glogg. Love it! And I would never use the non-alcoholic version! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a very bad experience with mulled wine...

    but i will do the drinking part
    enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect drink in the snowy weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Classic... you live a in a real-life Winter Wonderland, with the tree and the fireplace and the mulled wine with the snow outside! I would never trade my Florida girl status on a permanent basis, but sometimes I get the crazy idea in my head that December shouldn't be all about plastic flamingos perched on perfectly-green lawns wearing Santa hats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of Glogg, but it sounds wonderful! You do live in a Winter Wonderland!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much snow. It is just strange for me to see snow as I see sun now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in a Swedish neighborhood (bordering a Vietnamese one, gotta love cities!) and there is glogg even in the Persian restaurants this time of year there. I love this stuff!

    ReplyDelete