Friday, June 4, 2010

Another ordinary food day - Miso glazed tuna steak

IMG_2603

I don't always eat fancy. I swore to you that I make ordinary food during the week. It is usually very low in carbs and I try to be as healthy as possible. Fish has been a big part of our diet during the week. So, I wanted to find something somewhat interesting to do with Albacore steaks that I had. I searched around for something with Miso in it because I like how Miso taste in marinades for fish. I found a recipe at ifood.tv by a dude named Ryanakarcher. I gave it a try and was really happy with it.

So first is the glaze which was great. Anything with Sriracha Chili sauce is fine with me.

IMG_2600

Um.... being the goof that I am I used red horseradish instead of white because I didn't have the white. It came out looking like Pepto Bismol but that is ok. It tasted fine. Actually I liked the fish better without the aioli but Dr. Food liked it with.

IMG_2601

Glazed Tuna Steak with Horseradish Aioli


Miso Glaze:
2 Tbsp Miso Paste
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 tsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Sriracha Chili Sauce


Horseradish Aioli:
2 Egg Yolks
1 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
1 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/4 tsp White Pepper (or 1/2 tsp black pepper)
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Safflower Oil (or peanut, corn, canola)
3 Tbsp Horseradish
2 Large Garlic Cloves (or 3 medium)

Additional:
2 Yellow fin or Ahi Tuna Steaks
2 Tbsp Watercress, thinly sliced

1. Mix together all ingredients for miso glaze and blend well. Place tuna steaks into glaze and flip them around to make sure even coating.

2. Let marinate for 30 minutes.

3. Meanwhile you should start your horseradish aioli. Add 2 egg yolks, sugar, salt, pepper, and white wine vinegar to food processor. In a seperate bowl mix your 2 oils together. Begin blending the yolk mixture and SLOWLY add a spoonful of oil blend at a time.

Once you can tell the mix is thickening up you can add the remaining oil at once. Let whip for 30 seconds. Remove to bowl and refrigerate until needed.

4. After the tuna has been marinating for 30 minutes, heat your indoor grill or griddle on medium + to high (We used our grill outside). Place tuna steaks on the grill and leave them in place. Grill them 5 minutes per side for well done, 3 minutes per side for a rare center.

5. Drizzle some horseradish aioli on a plate, slice the tuna into 1/2" strips and place them on the plate in the aioli sauce.
Drizzle a thin line of aioli over the top of the tuna as well and garnish with thinly sliced watercress.

Not bad for a weeknight dinner.

8 comments :

  1. The horsradish aioli sounds perfect with your tuna. It looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the horseradish aioli. Perfect combination for tuna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Horseradish Aioli, very interesting! I'd like to try this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. never thought of using miso as a glaze, what a great idea!! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I've had miso as a glaze on salmon, but not tuna. Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm, this looks delish..and don't think of it as Pepto Bismol, just think of it as girly tuna!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm, this looks delish..and don't think of it as Pepto Bismol, just think of it as girly tuna!

    ReplyDelete