Thursday, June 17, 2010

Rhubarb and Ginger Jam

IMG_2706

I was gifted with about a pound of rhubarb from my neighbors garden. I have tried crumbles and sweets with it before but Dr Food doesn't like rhubarb and won't eat it. I LOVE the stuff. This time I was going to make jam.

IMG_2707

Uh, this is what it yielded. Almost not worth making. Yet, it was well worth the taste!

IMG_2710

I love canning anything I can get my hands on but I am not sure that I have ever done this small of a batch of anything.

IMG_2709

Rhubarb-Ginger Jam

3lb rhubarb, cut into 1" pieces
1/4 C diced crystalized ginger, diced
zest of 2 oranges
3 C sugar

1. Combine all ingredients in heavy medium saucepan.
2. Stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil.
3. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until jam thickens and mounds on spoon, stirring often to prevent scorching, about 20 minutes.

Should yield about 6 C. I used only 1lb rhubarb and that is why I didn't get that much.

Then can as you would any other jam. If you don't know how to do this go here.

7 comments :

  1. Excellent referral to the NCHFP, Janis. I've two batches (13 jars) of strawberry-rhubarb jam done. Last year's State Fair canning was recorded here: <http://web.me.com/barbschaller, then link to "Yes, I can!" at top of page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good...love ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must be the week for jam making! This looks wonderful, so glad to see a rhubarb jam recipe that embraces rhubarb insted of making it share the jar with a strawberry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these last year and so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This jam looks great and I think I'd enjoy that amount of yield for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ginger sounds great in this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ginger sounds great in this!

    ReplyDelete