Sunday, June 27, 2010

I love summer and Quinoa

IMG_2876

I love summer. I love quinoa. So, I decided to post about why. First off I have to say that there is no better feeling than being able to go out to the garden and pick what you need for dinner. So when I saw this quinoa recipe I was really happy. Of course I didn't grow the quinoa itself or the chicken stock (which isn't even homemade... Sorry Martha).

Just to brag for a minute because really, I don't have a green thumb but the produce gods must be in my corner this year. They must know that I have suffered enough having moved from the Bay area to the land of no vegetables.

IMG_2877

These are my cranberry beans.


IMG_2890

First tomato (ok, I know that you already have yours and you are ahead of me but us "New Englanders" have to wait longer).

IMG_2889

Banana Pepper.

IMG_2878


Oh and I am growing Shiso. It is also known as Perilla, and is a perennial herb in the mint family. I love this stuff.


IMG_2881

This is a little embarrassing because I don't know if it is a weed or something that is for real. I marked it in case someone got confused (uh....me)

IMG_2882

I am also growing lots of other things. I am growing 2 kinds of eggplant and padron peppers, and blackeyed peas, and kale and basil and oregano, and lemongrass (well I think that it is growing but not sure. I just stuck one in the ground)

IMG_2879

Oh and a sunflower!

IMG_2891

So, on the subject of loving quinoa. I decided to make some so I went out to the garden to get parsley and chives (see? one thing DID have to do with the other).

IMG_2793

Poured myself a little wine.

IMG_2795

Put on more of the music I love oh so much.

IMG_2796

Then started the quinoa.

IMG_2797

I really liked this a lot. Now the protein that I made was really less than exciting since it was left over BBQed chicken that I dug out of the freezer. I am not proud. I took a picture to share with you so that you can see that *I* am also only human.

IMG_2799


Herbed Quinoa
Martha Stewart

1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups Homemade Chicken Stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
1 large bunch flat-leaf parsley, (about 4 ounces)
1 bunch chives, (about 1/4 ounce), snipped into 1/4-inch lengths
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions

1. In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa and stock; bring to a boil. Cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer until all liquid is absorbed and the grains are translucent, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat.

2. Meanwhile, pick 1/2 cup parsley leaves from stems, chop leaves coarsely, and set aside. Place remaining parsley leaves, parsley stems, and 1/4 cup water in a food processor; process until pureed. Transfer puree to a double layer of cheesecloth laid over a small bowl. Squeeze all liquid from the puree, discard solids, and set parsley juice aside.

3. Add snipped chives, butter, and reserved parsley juice and chopped parsley into cooked quinoa, and mix until combined. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, and serve.

IMG_2895

I also have 2 Topsy Turveys so there!

7 comments :

  1. Wow! I'm so impressed with your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Garden...God Bless. I wish I had the time to do something so beautiful. The recipe looks yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice garden! I wish I had a green thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful garden. I just bought the Topsy Turveys. They seem to be doing well, but it's early in the season yet. I'm a big quinoa fan. Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm so jealous of your garden! looks like its doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your vegetable garden and the Topsy Turveys. I see those on late night TV and have coveted them. I've got so many critters around here I know something would break into it before I saw any tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful garden, and great dish:)

    ReplyDelete