Monday, June 14, 2010

Corn beef kind of weekend

IMG_2700

When we decided to hang out on Saturday and watch the World Cup (god, I hated that buzzing sound) I tried to think of something either American or British to make for dinner. I checked out my Saveur Cooks Authentic American cookbook. There it was right in front of me. Corn beef and cabbage. *I* had that in the freezer just waiting to be made! I then read up on the subject of Corn beef and cabbage and found out that it was also a British thing long ago. So, it has nothing to do with the Irish and in fact some Irish people have never even tasted it. Really.

So dinner was good and we watched the game (the buzzing sound almost drove me insane...yes, I had to say it again). This isn't why I blog this though. It was the next morning that made this humble corn beef blog worthy. One of my favorite foods in the world is corn beef hash. Yes, I even get my beloved egg on top.

IMG_2702

I took the leftover corn beef and left over potatoes and fried this puppy up.

IMG_2703

Poached an egg (which I hadn't done for years)

IMG_2704

There you have it. One tasty breakfast.

7 comments :

  1. Yummie, love corned beef, haven't had it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, classic leftovers turned into an amazing breakfast...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is one of those best breakfasts.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm... Corned beef hash is my faaaavourite, especially when it's topped with a poached egg. I often add a chopped fresh dill right at the end, just for a little extra je-ne-sais-quoi, but it's just as good without.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmm... Corned beef hash is my faaaavourite, especially when it's topped with a poached egg. I often add a chopped fresh dill right at the end, just for a little extra je-ne-sais-quoi, but it's just as good without.

    ReplyDelete