Tuesday, June 29, 2010

My Day at the Great American Food and Music Festival

IMG_2897

I have the best kids on the planet. My son-in-law and daughter got Dr. Food and me into the "Great American Food and Music Festival" that was being held at the Gillette Stadium. This meant lots of great food from all over the U.S.

IMG_2816
Lets start off with what we stuffed our faces with first. This is Wood Grilled Maine Raised Hangar Steak with Chimichuri. It was from Harding Lee Smith. This dish was fantastic. I now have to travel back to Portland, Maine to go to one of his reastaurants. I wish this blog had taste-o-vision on it.

IMG_2815

Next off was a Fried Scallop Po'Boy (Lettuce, Tomatoes, Sweet corn/mango remoulade on Ciabatta). This was from All Star Sandwich Bar in Cambridge, MA. I had a couple of bites of this and decided to move on. It was not my favorite.

This is a Freshly grilled Philly Beefsteak from Jim's Steaks in Philadelphia. Um, I don't think I get the point of eating this. It wasn't my favorite either. Ok, wait! My favorite IS coming up.

IMG_2811

Meantime we were drinking Mikes Hard Lemonade. It was about 85 degrees outside and humid. Luckily we were in the VIP lounge where runners went and got you any of the food you wanted.

So, I just need to tell you that we ate this throughout the day and not at one seating. In between we were watching "Ace of Cakes" from Food Network yap while his crew built a cake.

IMG_2823

Sorry about tall dudes head in the picture.

IMG_2838

IMG_2842

This was fun to watch. Duff Goldman is "not my favorite"

IMG_2848

Here he is at the "Meet and Greet" and I have to say that he was downright obnoxious to a couple of people that went up for an autograph.

IMG_2851

More food. This is the Fried Shrimp BOOM BOOM from Harding Lee Smith. This was one of my very favorites.

IMG_2855

And being the good blogger that I am I even took pictures of OTHER peoples food. This is a Caprese (Buffalo Mozzarella, Ripe Tomatoes, Pesto on Parmesan Focaccia) and it was from the All Star Sandwich Bar.

IMG_2857

Lousy picture ... sorry. I was sitting there in a food coma when a nice gentleman from Johnson's Boucaniere walked in and handed me a Pork Boudin. This place is from Lafayette, Louisiana. Yum, I had never tasted this before. It was spicy and delicious.

IMG_2858

This is "The Grill Room" (Maine Raised Beef Tartare in Savory Cones) and it also was from Harding Lee Smith. I guess I had the most stuff from this place because everything was different enough to want to taste more than one thing. I think the only 2 things I missed from here were House Made Rigatoni with Wild Boar Ragut and Duck Confit, Goat Cheese, Grilled Onion Jam Grilled Cheese on Brioche. Ok, so I couldn't eat EVERYTHING.

IMG_2854

Meanwhile, we went up to the VIP lounge in the Gillette stadium to go do some wine tasting. I have to say that by the time I got up there I didn't feel like wine. I was so full that I just wanted to walk around.

IMG_2814

This was MY favorite thing of the day. It was from Hells Kitchen in Minneapolis. I wish I lived there just so I could go to this restaurant. Just for the record I was told that he had the name before Gordon Ramsay used it. I bought Mitch Omer's cookbook because this guy is great.

IMG_2817

So when Mitch Omer walked into the VIP lounge he was wearing his tag around his neck and it said "Ask Me About Paula Deen". When I asked him why it said that he said because he was signing cookbooks and everyone kept asking him about when Paula Deen was going to be there. So, now that I am like madly in love with this guys food I decide "the hell with Paula Deen" this guy is god of the BBQ and I ask to take my picture with him

Matt and me

I look sweatie and gross because after walking around in 85 degrees and 75% humidity feeling like a stuffed pig from eating so much you would too...ok, shut up... maybe not.

IMG_2852

Oh wait. One more thing. Churros. These were by Goldie's Churros from Los Angeles (my home town!). I don't even like Churros but everyone was raving about them so I decided to give it a try. All I can say is the ravers were right. These were fantastic.


IMG_2868

And right before we left Paula Deen walked in for a Meet and Greet. What a sweet woman she was. She was as friendly as she seems on TV to the throngs of people that were dying to see her.

I got both Paula Deens and Duff Goldman's autographs. I have never gotten anyones autograph before. Not because I haven't run into famous people but because I never saw the point. What the heck, I was there for the experience of it all. Oh, I also got Paula Deens husband Michael's autograph because he was sitting next to her signing too. I actually did see the episode of them getting married so I figured "What the hay?"

IMG_2899

IMG_2898

So we had a great time. It was all sorts of fun. The highlight was still my new BFF Mitch.

11 comments :

  1. This looks like a great event! And the food looks so delicious - what a treat. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your event experience! Food looks so good! Your point of view was humorous and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a REALLY fun time. Thanks for sharing a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janis,
    This is Cyn from Hell's Kitchen (aka Mitch's wife and "handler")...we just saw your blog entry and are thrilled you liked the Mega Ribs! Yay! and it was great to see the pic, and we're sitting here, finally back at home, showing our kid Nate your blog...and then we all fell off our chairs laughing because you called Mitch your BFF "MATT" which is the name of our CAT hahahahahahaha!
    Can you possibly email me a hi-res of your pic with him? Mitch (aka Matt) wants to put it up in his office.
    xox and lol...cyn@visi.com
    oh! PS! DO read the book...the San Francisco Examiner said the recipes are great but the story is even greater... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it as always- just bummed this wasn't hosted at your house so we could be voyeurs and have an excuse to pawn off our kids and play along. Glad you and Dr. F had a FABULOUS time-missed ya but loved playing with Big D all day-grin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a great time! I think I need to go to Hells Kitchen for those mega ribs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great event...and those shrimp look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finally just remembered to look up your blog! We met in the VIP room at the festival. It was lovely chatting with you and your hubby (and I think that caprese sandwich might have been mine!). Hope you are enjoying the New England summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristen!
    I remember you! Thanks for letting me borrow your sandwich and also for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finally just remembered to look up your blog! We met in the VIP room at the festival. It was lovely chatting with you and your hubby (and I think that caprese sandwich might have been mine!). Hope you are enjoying the New England summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your event experience! Food looks so good! Your point of view was humorous and fun!

    ReplyDelete