Sunday, September 19, 2010

Breaking a fast if I would have fasted

IMG_3451

It was Yom Kippur which is a very important Jewish Holiday. When I was a kid we used to fast for the day. Now that I am an adult I choose not to do this. However, I sometimes want to do something that is connected with tradition. Although I usually end up getting it wrong anyhow. So, what I am getting at is that I didn't fast. I did make a Beef Brisket and Potato Pancake dinner that I would have wanted if I DID fast. If truth be told this dinner is way too heavy to break a fast and it is more traditionally a Hannukah dinner but hey my heart was in the right place. Not only that but it is Dr. Foods birthday weekend and he LOVES this dinner.

IMG_3450

I even got a bottle of one of my favorite "Cooking dinner and drinking wine" wines. I like it pretty much for the sinister label. I can just see a mom with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth saying (in a really raspy voice) to the kids "Hey go play, it is Mommy's Timeout".

Love it...ok, don't give me that weird look like I have gone nuts. If you have been reading this blog for any time (which I pretty much believe that you might have just ended up here by accident and that is ok too) you know that I ramble. Yes, but I CAN cook if I do say so myself.

I also made potato pancakes. Shut up! I KNOW this isn't really what we should have been eating for a make believe "break fast". It probably should have been something very light and sensible.

IMG_3453

Ooops, picture is a little blurry. Maybe a little too much "Mommys Time Out". It is ok because this mommies kids are grown up and can fend for themselves (although I like to pretend that they still NEED me).

IMG_3452

Um, I was famished from my pretend fast and ate before I got a picture, but this is sorta what it looked like before I wolfed part of it down.

Aunt Irenes Brisket
by Kay's Aunt Irene (Kay is a friend from the past. Actually, she was my cooking guru. Not aunt Irene....Kay.)

Aunt Irene's Brisket
1 4-pound beef brisket
Kosher salt
Pepper
1 onion, thinly sliced into half moons
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup prepared chile sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 12-ounce bottle beer

1. Salt and pepper both sides of the meat.
2. Place beef in a roasting pan.
3. Cover with onion.
4. Combine ketchup, chile sauce, brown sugar, garlic,
and beer. Pour mixture over meat.
5. Cover securely with foil.
6. Bake at 300 degrees F for 3 to 4 hours. When the meat is tender, remove foil
and bake uncovered for an additional 35 to 40 minutes.
7. Puree the gravy while hot.

It is easier to slice the meat when it is cold. It is a good idea to let it cool all the way down and then slice. It can then be reheated.

14 comments :

  1. Yummy! This aunt had very good ideas and vision...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic! I'm tempted to try it in a crockpot so it can cook while I'm working... kate @kateiscooking

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boabe de Cafea: Thanks!

    Kate: I bet it would work in a crockpot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm getting hungry! Looks very tasty. I am saving this recipe and I'm convinced this recipe will be a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loooooove Brisket! It can be really hard to cook sometimes but this looks really really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hee hee - Mama wants some brisket! What a vision lol....you paint great pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely enjoyed this post! After reading this I am heading to bed with a smile on my face, I'm not reading any more blogs tonight because I don't think any posts can top this one! I'm so glad the brisket turned out well, I love the blurry potatoes and love the Mommy's Time Out!
    My kids are a bit younger than yours, 11 and 14 and I keep telling my 14 year old son that he really does need me, whether he knows it or not. Occasionally he even admits it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That brisket sounds delicious, but what really got my attention was the potato pancakes. I loooove those things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have wolfed it down before I got a picture too

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have wolfed it down before I got a picture too

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm getting hungry! Looks very tasty. I am saving this recipe and I'm convinced this recipe will be a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Boabe de Cafea: Thanks!

    Kate: I bet it would work in a crockpot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy! This aunt had very good ideas and vision...

    ReplyDelete