Monday, September 6, 2010

Umami corn on the cob and a reenactment

IMG_3283

I have been whining lately about being sick. Yes, I tweeted it. I put it up on Facebook. Now I am telling you all here. I hear that collective "Awwwww, poor Janis". Truth of the matter is that I haven't really felt like cooking or eating. That doesn't stop me though. Maybe it should. Then again, it sorta worked out.

I decided to make a corn recipe from the cookbook that I got at "Elephant Walk" restaurant. We took cooking lessons here and I bought the cookbook as well. We are making a whole dinner from this book tonight. It is Cambodian food. The corn didn't fit the lineup, but I wanted to try it so we tried it last night.

IMG_3284

The recipe simply starts off with one green onion thinly sliced. Ok, the picture is blurry. Someone is heavily medicated with heavy drugs.

IMG_3287

Some sugar and salt and fish sauce are added. This is where it all went a little south on me. I sorta started a HUGE fire. I mean that flames were all the way up to the hood and coming out all around the burner. I sorta added water to hot oil like it said to and then thought "Oh what the hell add the sugar too". Um, I might have been screaming on the top of my lungs for Dr. Food to come help. I don't remember anything other than no answer to my screams. So what did I do? Uh, I just sort of stood there and stared at the fire. It went out and so I went outside and yelled at Dr Food (who was sitting at the picnic table watching chicken grill, drinking an adult beverage and he even had his feet up). He looked at me like I was nuts. Then he actually said "Uh, you aren't suppose to put water in hot oil". DUH.

IMG_3296

After letting it cool it sorta stuck to the pan. No problem though. I just heated it up and got it liquid like again and we used it.

Wanna see what the fire sort of looked like? (This is a reenactment)

IMG_3295

See? Fire went up to the hood.

IMG_3298

Actually, this recipe is mighty fine and I will definately make it again. It tasted realllllly good.

IMG_3289

Ok, on good news side!!! Foodbuzz has gotten me VIP tickets to go to the Island Creek Oyster Festival next week! I get to cover the gala event for my blog. Cool. I even got a sweet note:

IMG_3291

The weather comment is for good reason. This is what it looks like in the sky much of the time in New England...

IMG_3293

Can't wait to slurp oysters next weekend. I will have you all with me in spirit. Just don't tell anyone about the fire I caused.

Grilled Corn - Poat Dot
The Elephant Walk Cookbook


4 ears corn
2 Tbl vegetable oil
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1 Tbl water
1 Tbl sugar
1 tsp fish sauce
1/2 tsp salt

Prepare corn by steaming or grilling. Meanwhile, heat oil in a small fry pan over high heat. Add remaining ingredients and stir fry until the scallions start to wilt, about 30 seconds. Brush this sauce on hot corn and serve.

Just be careful.

4 comments :

  1. Corn looks great! Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm glad that you and the kitchen are ok. No singed eyebrows? Thanks for the reenactment. I felt as though I was right there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone! I am feeling much much better now.

    Mom Chef: Glad I could bring my life onto your computer screen :--)

    ReplyDelete