Sunday, September 12, 2010
Short and sweet and Lemongrass Beef recipe
This is going to be a short post. Been having a busy weekend. Went to the Island Creek Oyster Festival yesterday and it was amazing. I will post about it this week. Today is a bloggers potluck and I get to meet lots of new people. I will post about that too.
For now here is a Lemongrass Beef recipe that went with our Cambodian dinner. This is good and makes a good simple meal served along with some rice.
Really simple marinade and you got most of the work done.
Stir-Fried Beef with Lemongrass (Cha Sachko Kroeung)
adapt from The Elephant Walk Cookbook
1 Stalk Lemongrass -- thinly sliced
2 Large Shallots -- coarsely chopped
5 Cloves Garlic -- coarsely chopped
1 1/2 Tsp Galangal Root --peeled and coarsely chopped
6 Kaffir Leaves, deveined
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
2 red bird's eye chilies, seeded and deveined
2/3 Cup water
3 Tbl vegetable oil
1 1/4 lb boneless sirloin, cut into 2" x 1 1/2" x 1/4"
3 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 large onion, sliced into 1/4" wedges
4 scallions, split lengthwise and cut into 2" pieces
1/4 red bell pepper thinly sliced
4 tablespoons unsalted roasted peanuts, coarsely ground
1/2 C peanuts, roasted and coarsely ground
1. To make paste blend all the ingredients in a blender until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Transfer the paste to a bowl, add meat and mix well.
3. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
4.Add the beef slices, stirring well
5. Add the fish sauce, sugar and salt and cook, stirring, until the sauce is bubbling, about 3 minutes.
6. Add the scallions, red pepper and 6 Tbl of peanuts. Cook, stirring, for another minute. Remove from heat.
7. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 Tbl peanuts