Thursday, September 9, 2010

How to fix a cold . . . Lemongrass Pork Soup

IMG_3300

I was still sick but we had to eat ya know. So we decided to cook a couple of things out of The Elephant Walk Cookbook. This is a restaurant in Cambridge that we took a cooking class at. Of course I felt like soup since I was sick. This soup sounded particularly good and it was.

IMG_3307

We proudly picked Keffir lime leaves from our very own tree. I can't tell you how this thrills me. I am also growing lemongrass but that isn't quite ready to pick so we bought that.

IMG_3323

Once again I didn't get a picture of the finished product. I sorta did though. Here are the leftovers for Dr Food to take to work for lunch. Come on, you will all still vote for me when the time comes. You love that I forget stuff just like YOU do and that I am not a fancy smancy blogger with tons of sponsors and people sending me free stuff to try out. You all love me and you know it.

IMG_3319

On to the drink of the night. Oh grow up, I do drink when I have a cold. It had fruit in it! We made Watermelon Woo Hoo's. That is my name for them but you can use it. All we did was cut up a seedless watermelon. We put it in a blender (ok a Vitamix but you can use a blender) with some simple syrup (ours had a vanilla bean that has been sitting in it) and some seltzer water, oh yeah and some rum. I would have used vodka but Dr. Food was making the drinks and I wasn't complaining. Well maybe I was but he wasn't listening to me.

So I give this recipe a thumbs up. It was really good.

8 comments :

  1. Aww, I'm sorry you're sick! But that lemongrass pork soup sounds reeeally yummy. And that's so cool that you have your own keffir limes! I love the idea of having a garden, but I always chicken out because it's so hot around here. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope you are feeling better! I bet that lemongrass soup helped cheer you up! If not those watermelon woo hoo's would have done it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Koci: Come on it is hot here too in the summer. You can still grow stuff.

    Chef: Watermelon Woooo Hooo's rock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Watermelon Woo Hoo name - and the soup sounds delicious. I hope you are back to 100% soon -
    -Butter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool about picking the Keffir lime leaf. hope it helps with the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear you are sick as well, I've been dealing with a cold for the last 1 1/2 weeks too, it must be going around. This looks great though and the watermelon wooo hoo's sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the Keffir leaf. I'm jealous. There's no way I can find that around here. I love the look of the marinade and need to try this beef though. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Butter: thanks!

    Evelyne: It did help.

    Susi: Whatever cold is sucks.

    Mom Chef: You can buy a little plant online. Go ahead...you CAN find it and grow it.

    ReplyDelete